• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    After getting out of the millitary how long did it take for you to hear back from the VA on a claim? I got medically retired back in Apr with 100% from the Army and am still waiting for the VA to even process my claim. Yeah the backpay check from the delay will be nice but i hate having to juggle almost twice as much going out then i have coming in.
    Hurley's Gold

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    I heard nothing but horror stories i am afarid. My lil brother has 60% hearing loss and has been denied 2 times now for benefits(been trying to get it filed since 2/06). He can barely hear outta his right ear at all (uparmored HMMWV hit by RPG in Iraq). I got a guy I worked with(back in NY) who had serious medical issues related to his service in Vietnam, to the VA, he fought for over two years but eventually was granted his disability and was able to retire. Seems it is the old army saying Hurry up and wait, which of course you are already familiar with.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I have 60% disability from when I retired back in 2006, and if I recall it took a while to kick in. Still, yours seems like an inordinate amount of time, have you tried calling your local VA office about it?

Cheers! M2

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    After reading Major's post above, you have the right to have a Veterans advocate, at any hearings. Ask for that when you call, thats what ultimately helped the Vietnam vet get his proper benefits I mentioned above. It is basically a arbitrator who works on your behalf. Hope this helps bud.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    After getting out of the millitary how long did it take for you to hear back from the VA on a claim? I got medically retired back in Apr with 100% from the Army and am still waiting for the VA to even process my claim. Yeah the backpay check from the delay will be nice but i hate having to juggle almost twice as much going out then i have coming in.

Just whatever you do.........don't give up. Keep calling.......go see a DAV Rep in person. I just received an increase in my disability rating that went back to 2007.........and yes they did pay retroactive. Hang in there!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Would contacting your state rep/senator be of any help?

During TAPs all we heard was "put in your papers asap because they take forever to process"...one horror story after another. Good luck getting what you need. It is ridiculous that this happens at all.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    RetArmySgt:
    Did you get a separation pay? If so you will have to wait x amount of months until it is equal to Disability rating. If your separation pay was $6000, and your rating paid $500/month, it would be a year before you received the first payment.

If you go to your local VA office they can look into it a little easier than over the phone.

DCAV:
    On your lil brothers hearing loss, it will be a bit harder due to the fact he would have to prove it occurred due to explosive injury. The VA quit auto approving hearing loss years ago since they started issuing ear plugs to all soldiers.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I didnt get sep pay i was medically retired at 100% from the Army and put on the PDRL i just dont see how if im already rated 100% that the VA should have such trouble rating my disabilities.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I know SA is not exactly in between Austin and Houston, but the VA office at Ft Sam Houston was very helpful in getting my paperwork processed. I don't know its exact location, but it's not the one at BAMC but the one in the basement of one of the buildings off the main quad...

They also have a Disability Resource Library...

I have a SA military phone book at work, I will try and find the number tomorrow.

Cheers! M2

p.s. Have you tried the VA regional office in Houston?

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I have been up to the regional office in Waco because my claim was sent there due to Houston regional office being 2 years behind on claims when i got out.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    A good friend of mine got injured by shrapnel and the concussion from an RPG. Thankfully he didn't lose any limbs, but it did put him in a coma for nearly a month, he needed cornea replacement surgery and some other things. I think it took him awhile to recover. If I'm not mistaken, I think his disability claim took something like 1-1.5yrs before he finally got it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom