• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    I wanted to join SAPD but after reading trough all the info it seems I'm banned for life for some stupid things I took in High school. I wanted to know what options I had to working in LE or did those mistakes I made in High school just fubar any career I could have had in LE?

Thanks in advance Roger
    Hurley's Gold

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yep, these are the SAPD disqualifiers...

Applicants cannot have any of the following:

• [*]Two or more traffic violation conviction(s) within twelve months preceeding the date of application.
      [*]Is prohibited by state of federal law from operating a motor vehicle.
      [*]Is currently under indictment for any criminal offense.
      [*]Has a conviction of a misdemeanor offense above the grade of Class "C" within the last ten years.
      [*]Has a conviction of any offense above the grade of a Class B Misdemeanor or any crime involving moral turpitude.
      [*]Has ever been on court-ordered community supervision or probation for any criminal offense above the grade of Class B misdemeanor.
      [*]Has been on court-ordered community supervision of probation for a Class B misdemeanor within the last ten years from the date of the court order.
      [*]Is prohibited by state or federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition.
      [*]Has been convicted of a crime involving family violence.
      [*]Was discharged from any military service under less than Honorable conditions. including, specifically; General (under Honorable conditions), other than Honorable, bad conduct, dishonorable, or any other characterization of service indicating bad character.

They won't take me because I'm too old!

Four years ago when I retired from the USAF they were trying pretty hard to recruit me, it's funny how quickly things change...

goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    Ive never been convicted its when you read further that it shows any use though
    13. Use of Illicit Substances
    In order to be deemed suitable, applicants must show no trace of drug dependency or
    illegal drug use after a physical examination, urine test, blood test, or other medical test
    designed to detect the presence of controlled substances.
    Applicants are deemed unsuitable if they have:
    a) Used marijuana for the purpose of recreation or intoxication:
    1) Any time during the twenty-four (24) months preceding the date of
    examination. Applicants deemed unsuitable under this cause are eligible to reapply
    for subsequent entrance examinations when the unsuitability factor is no longer
    applicable.
    2) More than three (3) independent times during the five (5) years preceding the
    date of the examination. Applicants deemed unsuitable under this cause are
    eligible to reapply for subsequent entrance examinations when the unsuitability
    factor is no longer applicable.
    3) At any time while serving as a law enforcement officer, correction officer,
    security officer, or fire fighter. Applicants deemed unsuitable under this cause
    remain permanently unsuitable.
    b) Used paint, glue or other inhalants for the purpose of intoxication
    1) on no more than two (2) separate occasions while the applicant was
    younger than seventeen (17) years of age. Applicants deemed
    unsuitable under this cause are not eligible to reapply for a period five
    (5) years from the most recent date of usage.
    Personnel Rules of The City of San Antonio Fire Fighters’ and Police Officers’ Civil Service Commission
    Rule IX - Eligibility List IX - 11 Effective November 9, 2009
    2) on three (3) or more separate occasions while the applicant was younger than
    seventeen (17) years of age. Applicants deemed unsuitable under this cause
    remain permanently unsuitable.
    3) while the applicant was seventeen (17) years or older. Applicants deemed
    unsuitable under this cause remain permanently unsuitable.
    c) Used any hallucinogenic drugs, including, but not limited to LSD, STP, or Psilosybin.
    Applicants deemed unsuitable under this cause remain permanently unsuitable.
    d) Abused or illegally used prescription medicines for the purpose of intoxication or
    recreation, whether prescribed to them or another person or otherwise obtained.
    Applicants deemed unsuitable under this cause remain permanently unsuitable.
    e) Used anabolic steroids for any reason other than the treatment of a medical condition,
    authorized by and under the direction of a physician. Applicants deemed unsuitable
    under this cause are not eligible to reapply for a period of five (5) years from the date
    of the usage.
    f) Illegally used any other substances or drugs listed in the Texas Controlled Substances
    Act, including but not limited to: Amphetamines, Cocaine, Methamphetamines,
    Opium, Barbiturates, Heroin, Morphine, Ecstasy, and Eve. Applicants deemed
    unsuitable under this cause remain permanently unsuitable.

goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    6. Polygraph Examination
    Applicants must demonstrate their veracity in responses to all personal history,
    employment, criminal activity, and personal habit interrogatories presented in the
    Polygraph Questionnaire approved by the Commission. Satisfactory demonstration of
    this requirement will be based on a polygraph examiner’s report of “No Deception
    Indicated.”/QUOTE]

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Other departments may not have such a standard. You just need to research with other agencies. However, the ecstasy might be more of a problem than the cocaine.

You might want to get away from calling it a mistake, though. If I put on one blue sock and one black sock that is a mistake, You didn't think you were taking a vitimin and take those by mistake. Learn to call them what they were; bad judgment and a lack of character. Your character has change sinced then and your judgment has improved. ;)

They like it when you own it and don't try to minimize with mitigating language.

Good luck.

goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    You might want to get away from calling it a mistake, though. If I put on one blue sock and one black sock that is a mistake, You didn't think you were taking a vitimin and take those by mistake. Learn to call them what they were; bad judgment and a lack of character. Your character has change sinced then and your judgment has improved.

I know they where dumb decisions I say mistake since I should have known better. Thanks for the tips and info I just need to find out what other departments there are in San Antonio now.

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    Some departments say no hard drugs ever and some say not within the last ___ years. Call around and ask for a recruiter or whoever is in charge of hiring.

Top Bottom