question for leather workers

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by DCortez, Dec 14, 2009.

1. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    What is the worst kind of work to do (don't say free :332:)? What is the worst material to work with (saw leather, badger, elephant, etc., at Collectors)? At what point does holster/sheath/strap work become a pita?

2. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Shorts? Shorts? She should be along shortly....

3. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    All the time you ungrateful sons'a'... :mad0079: :lolz: kidding.

I think it depends on what you're building. Most times it's really the tools you have to work with that will make the difference in how PITA the project is. Different skins have different textures, hardness and character. If you don't have the tool you need to work the leather, it makes the day a bit more frustrating. That can be the difference between handle tools and a machine. Or a particular hand tool vs an improvised tool. And honestly, even with the right tools, right leather and right products, it can still end up fighting you all the way.

Some leathers are difficult to punch through and stitch (stingray, alligator). So a machine is almost a most. Some leathers are very thin so backings and layers need to be considered (exotics, reptiles), which make the build process and edging a true brain builder. Some leathers don't like to take dye (horse hide). That can be a huge pain. Some leathers have to be cut with scissors, which means the pattern will walk on you (suede). Some leather aer just heavy and take some muscle (veg tan, especially heavy weights).

Really it depends on what you're trying to do and with what material. If you don't have the proper leather for the purpose, you'll have fits. Without the proper tools, it would be a long project for sure.

Is there something in particular you had in mind?

4. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

Something along the cowboy line of things for my revolvers (.357 & .44 mags) and lever guns (16, 20, & 24"). Would like something decorative and/or ornamental that you'd see in an old west movie.

5. Joat

Joat Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    Having built a bunch of cowboy rigs for CAS, as well as concealment holsters, SCA armor, horse tack, and bike stuff; I can say that starting with an old west rig out of veg. tanned leather is a good place to start if you want to get into holster making. Or leather working for that matter.

Most old west rigs are basically fitted "buckets" that the gun sits in and is held in place with a hammer strap. The patterns are mostly symmetrical and utilize a simple stitch pattern. Usually unlined and made out of 8-10 or 10-12 oz leather. Tandy Leather has several kits available that contain all the materials needed to get started and many books and patterns for this type of holster and belt. The kits and patterns often contain carving patterns for decorating the holsters and belts. Some of the kits even contain the tools that you need to complete the project.Some Tandy stores even offer classes and workshops for the novice crafter.

The worst part of western holsters, in my opinion, is the decoration, I can build, mold, and fit leather to almost anything. When it comes to carving leather, I leave that to others. An artist I am not.

Joat

6. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    This is what I like, but do think it would be a pita to make.

holster.jpg

7. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I hear Ross Leather has one just like it all ready made. :rofl:

8. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

Too bad none will fit my guns. :332:

I do like the stars and style, but want something a little fancier.

9. shellshook

shellshook Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Austin

The answer is yes! That would take three or four days of hard work.....now if you have a design laid out and a sewing machine it would be faster. That's a bunch of stitching.

10. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    What guns?