• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    What is the worst kind of work to do (don't say free )? What is the worst material to work with (saw leather, badger, elephant, etc., at Collectors)? At what point does holster/sheath/strap work become a pita?
    Capitol Armory ad

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    All the time you ungrateful sons'a'... kidding.

I think it depends on what you're building. Most times it's really the tools you have to work with that will make the difference in how PITA the project is. Different skins have different textures, hardness and character. If you don't have the tool you need to work the leather, it makes the day a bit more frustrating. That can be the difference between handle tools and a machine. Or a particular hand tool vs an improvised tool. And honestly, even with the right tools, right leather and right products, it can still end up fighting you all the way.

Some leathers are difficult to punch through and stitch (stingray, alligator). So a machine is almost a most. Some leathers are very thin so backings and layers need to be considered (exotics, reptiles), which make the build process and edging a true brain builder. Some leathers don't like to take dye (horse hide). That can be a huge pain. Some leathers have to be cut with scissors, which means the pattern will walk on you (suede). Some leather aer just heavy and take some muscle (veg tan, especially heavy weights).

Really it depends on what you're trying to do and with what material. If you don't have the proper leather for the purpose, you'll have fits. Without the proper tools, it would be a long project for sure.

Is there something in particular you had in mind?

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    Having built a bunch of cowboy rigs for CAS, as well as concealment holsters, SCA armor, horse tack, and bike stuff; I can say that starting with an old west rig out of veg. tanned leather is a good place to start if you want to get into holster making. Or leather working for that matter.

Most old west rigs are basically fitted "buckets" that the gun sits in and is held in place with a hammer strap. The patterns are mostly symmetrical and utilize a simple stitch pattern. Usually unlined and made out of 8-10 or 10-12 oz leather. Tandy Leather has several kits available that contain all the materials needed to get started and many books and patterns for this type of holster and belt. The kits and patterns often contain carving patterns for decorating the holsters and belts. Some of the kits even contain the tools that you need to complete the project.Some Tandy stores even offer classes and workshops for the novice crafter.

The worst part of western holsters, in my opinion, is the decoration, I can build, mold, and fit leather to almost anything. When it comes to carving leather, I leave that to others. An artist I am not.

Joat

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    This is what I like, but do think it would be a pita to make.

holster.jpg

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    Try here for the holster kits: Tandy Leather Factory

Most of the decoration on the kits are done with stamps and conchos. They can be as plain or as fancy as you want.

For built rigs at decent prices try these guys.
    I've used a couple of their rigs for cowboy shoots and they were good, affordable rigs. Not the best out there, but affordable and relatively well made.

Joat

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    For built rigs at decent prices try these guys.
    I've used a couple of their rigs for cowboy shoots and they were good, affordable rigs. Not the best out there, but affordable and relatively well made.

Joat

That tooled stuff is the direction I'd like to go in. Call me cowboy ghetto gangsta, but that stuff looks cool.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Yes it would be. Starting from zero experience on a project like that isn't impossible, it will just take patience, the right tools and a good plan. You biggest hurdle would be not knowing the tips, tricks and behaviors of the items you'll be working with. Veg tan is pretty forgiving in that its tough.

Any good leather supply store will sell those types of patterns/instructions/kits. I don't think you get all the tools and materials necessary to complete such a rig (it'll probably tell you what you have to buy separately). But it is an excellent starting place to see what you're getting into.

This is what I like, but do think it would be a pita to make.

holster.jpg

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    i have been sewing leather for 30 years and shark will wear out a needle in a minute tough as hell but will tear at the stitches. if you need help with it i would be glad to help you there are no secrets to this art only people who no more than others by experience.

K-Man

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Here's a few I've done:

Vaquero_Holster_1a.jpg

STI-Lawman1a.jpg

RoseCowboyRig1a.jpg

Spot-BeaverTailHolster1a.jpg

I've got a bunch of different exotic skins on hand - stingray, ostrich, elephant, hippo, zebra, giraffe, alligator, python, shark. I've never had really any problem sewing through any of it. Again - as Shorts said it's the equipment used that makes the difference.

I use only genuine skins - none of the embossed. The silver on the tan colored cowboy holster is real silver. The spots on the one just above is the generic type. (That's beaver tail on the band.)

Top Bottom