• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Ok guys-gotta question. If you pull over someone driving an SUV during a traffic stop, and you see a rifle/shotgun laying in plain view in the far back of the vehicle...what is your response? Do you conduct business as usual and just bring up the gun to see what the driver says, or are you drawing your weapon and shouting orders?

I've always left mine in plain sight when traveling as a courtesy to any police officer who may pull me over for whatever reason. But now, I'm hearing from an officer that if he walks up and see's it, it's cause for him to be on high alert. So I'm trying to see if this is pretty much the same across the board. If it helps any, in the past, I've always rolled down all my windows as well as turned off the vehicle and have all paperwork waiting with both of my hands on some part of the steering wheel.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Dude, relax. This ain't California. They might be on alert, but if they stick their gun in your face because you have a gun in the back, file a complaint to help encourage them to find a more suitable career.

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    Well, I think it is going to depend on a number of things.....like how terrible was your traffic violation and did it look like you was trying to escape from something happening down the road.....or, did the sight of the shotgun bring back a memory of something the officer took a report of, like a shooting/road rage incident/robbery, earlier in the day or week and now he realizes YOU might be the suspect!

Until you know everything going on with him at the time, I think I'd just be really cool and obey EVERYTHING he says. I've got near 30 years of horror stories about incidents that were either better or worse than they first appeared.

Be nice! You might make a friend!

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    That's what I generally do and it seems to work. I haven't gotten a ticket in Texas yet with all my years being here. I was just talking to a cop the other day though over the phone about something related, and he started asking me about how I carry my shotgun which was kinda off topic. Then I told him and he all starts about how he would be drawing his weapon and yelling at me until he sorted things out. That just got me wonderin how many other officers would be the same way? lol

Top Bottom