• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    Not sure what a "nics" check is but I thought one could carry without any license in Texas.if they were not a felon, and lived in Texas.

Yes you can carry with a few limitations. Businesses may restrict unlicensed carry etc. But even if you’re not carrying, bypassing the background check requirement is worth it if, like me for example, you tend to get delayed whenever you buy from an FFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Why is a citizen {of Texas} filling out a form to carry in Texas? I could be wrong but my understanding is if one is a citizen of Texas and "of age", you can carry concealed or open (assuming you are not a felon).

Last edited:

Plinker300

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Katy
    One of the reasons we’re planning on attending a class and getting our LTCs is that we just moved from out of state. We would like to have a good basic understanding of the laws here, and it sounds like the class will cover that.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Why is a citizen {of Texas} filling out a form to carry in Texas? I could be wrong but my understanding is if one is a citizen of Texas and "of age", you can carry concealed or open (assuming you are not a felon).

So I can legally in 37 other states, among other reasons including legal defenses to prosecution for carrying in places some people may not want you to.

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    I explained why. No NICs. Helpful if you get delayed. Or at times when there’s a rush you’re not waiting for the backed up nics system if purchasing from an ffl. I carried before I had it as well but this is a bonus. Can’t spell it out any further than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    If noted with a sign, I will not go in. I've not broken any law. If they ask me to leave because I have a gun, I must leave but I've broken no laws if they have no signage.
    What signs will restrict you? If you have a LTC you know what signs restrict you. The course is very valuable, not for teaching how to use a gun but the legal aspects of what not to do. If you didn't know what a NICS check is than maybe you should take the course.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    So I can legally in 37 other states, among other reasons including legal defenses to prosecution for carrying in places some people may not want you to.
    A few years ago I went fishing with some guys from work in Utah. They had constitutional carry at the time, so everyone could carry. However, non-residents couldn’t have one in the chamber unless they had a carry license in their home state. When Oklahoma first passed constitutional carry, they had the same requirement. Not sure if either state or any other state is that way now.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you have a reliable 22LR caliber pistol your wife shoots well, I would suggest she qualify with it.....
    Nothing wrong with using a .22LR revolver for the test
    I’m more concerned about the wife having a malfunction and getting frustrated.
    Hmmm. A .22LR revolver would fix that, too.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Are lot's of folks getting a carry license even though you can carry without one?

1) No wait for a background check at the gun shop (this would the the NICS check that you didn't recognize the name of) if you've got a license.

2) Reciprocity with other states only works if you've got a license.

3) Classroom instruction on the law as it pertains to concealed/open carry and self defense in general when you qualify for your license - good overview of useful informaition in one convenient session.

4) Education on what signs do and don't pertain to you depending on how you're carrying that day - and which signs are obsolete or never held any weight to begin with.

5) For some people, the range qualification is a confidence builder. For others, it's a weed-out that tells them they need more practice/instruction before they should consider themselves able to defend themselves with a firearm.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    1) No wait for a background check at the gun shop (this would the the NICS check that you didn't recognize the name of) if you've got a license.

2) Reciprocity with other states only works if you've got a license.

3) Classroom instruction on the law as it pertains to concealed/open carry and self defense in general when you qualify for your license - good overview of useful informaition in one convenient session.

4) Education on what signs do and don't pertain to you depending on how you're carrying that day - and which signs are obsolete or never held any weight to begin with.

5) For some people, the range qualification is a confidence builder. For others, it's a weed-out that tells them they need more practice/instruction before they should consider themselves able to defend themselves with a firearm.

Plus, without the state license, you can be easily violating the Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 if within 1,000 feet of any public, private or parochial school while carrying a firearm.

Yeah, I know, seldom prosecuted but if charged a conviction under the GFSZA will cause an individual to become a "prohibited person".

So much for being a “law abiding citizen“.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Not sure what a "nics" check is but I thought one could carry without any license in Texas.if they were not a felon, and lived in Texas.
    <>

My understanding is that one does not have to ‘’live in Texas’’, as that would discriminate against other U S Citizens.

Some states require residency to get a CL/CHL/CWP etc.

Non-reciprocity in liberal states does cause problems.

leVieux

Top Bottom