• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Plus, without the state license, you can be easily violating the Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 if within 1,000 feet of any public, private or parochial school while carrying a firearm.

Yeah, I know, seldom prosecuted but if charged a conviction under the GFSZA will cause an individual to become a "prohibited person".

So much for being a “law abiding citizen“.
    A federal Court here has ruled that the ‘’1000’ law’’ cannot be enforced unless some method of letting a person know when they could be in violation of it is devised.

IANAL

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    The course of fire is a bit vague. “Optical enhancers are not allowed.”

I know I am a bit late to the party but I agree, the official outdated PDF (from 2017) is very vague.

What DPS means by "optical enhancers" is a "device that has an ability to magnify or zoom the shooters field of view".
    So zoom? No. Red dots? Yes.
    RSD even confirmed verbally.

Same with minimum caliber allowed. No more limitations. Rimfire is now allowed. Again, RSD confirmed verbally.

Plus the OWT (myth) that a revolver may not be shot in single action is plain not true. DA or SA are both allowed. And again, I verbally confirmed with RSD.

Yet, you will see some instructors out there teaching based on old and outdated curriculum and state requirements.

Attachments

• Capture.png
      Capture.png
      49.1 KB · Views: 48

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    In addition to what G Z posted in #32, an LTC/CHL can, and does often act as a second, third, or fourth form of government identification. It can also be requested for, and, or, by some training companies or instructors. Often in lieu of them doing a background check on you.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I know I am a bit late to the party but I agree, the official outdated PDF (from 2017) is very vague.

What DPS means by "optical enhancers" is a "device that has an ability to magnify or zoom the shooters field of view".

Same with minimum caliber allowed. No more limitations. Rimfire is now allowed. Again, RSD confirmed verbally.

Plus the OWT (myth) that a revolver may not be shot in single action is plain not true. DA or SA are both allowed. And again, I verbally confirmed with RSD.

Yet, you will see some instructors out there teaching based on old and outdated curriculum and state requirements.

Ahh hell.

If I did the shooting portion of the test with my what used to be a Ruger 22/45 race gun and the green dot it would be AWESOME.

It shoots like a laser and that sub 2 lb trigger is great!

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Ahh hell.

If I did the shooting portion of the test with my what used to be a Ruger 22/45 race gun and the green dot it would be AWESOME.

It shoots like a laser and that sub 2 lb trigger is great!
    Dang. Sorry.
    Well, you could always shoot it and say that it identifies as a 45 that day, no? :D

Plinker300

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Katy

Forgive my ignorance, but what (or who) is RSD? And where is that screenshot from? Honestly this thread went way longer than I expected, and has been really informative for a newcomer like myself.

Plinker300

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Katy
    I am happy to report that I passed my written test with 25/25, and my proficiency with 250/250. I did throw 3 rounds in the 8 ring..

It also was indicated that red dots will be allowed after fall.. September or October?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I am happy to report that I passed my written test with 25/25, and my proficiency with 250/250. I did throw 3 rounds in the 8 ring..

It also was indicated that red dots will be allowed after fall.. September or October?
    COULD BE THEY ARE RELAXIN A BIT BECAUSE OF PERMITLESS CARRY AND TRYING TO REGAIN SOME LOST REVENUE JUST A GUESS ON MY PART!

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX

Congratulations.
    And negative, red dots and holographic sights are already permitted. But no magnifying optics.
    (If it was your LTC instructor who said it, he/she needs retraining)

Plinker300

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Katy
    I think they are going to officially clarify the verbiage so all instructors going forward are on the same page. Two students in my group were given rentals. I wasn’t going to argue, it would only make the class take longer. I shot with irons.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I think they are going to officially clarify the verbiage so all instructors going forward are on the same page. Two students in my group were given rentals. I wasn’t going to argue, it would only make the class take longer. I shot with irons.

The clarifying language needs to be put in 37 TAC 6.14 as part of figure A for there to be any standardization.

Top Bottom