Question for other CHL Instructors

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by Seabear1500, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Seabear1500

Seabear1500 Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I got a new question today. I had a potential student call who is slow with reading and speaking English. Luckily I can speak, read, and write in Spanish, so I could posibly write a translated test for him. I looked through the DPS website and a lot of information can be translated but not the actual Test. Anybody else ever dealt with this?:gotme:

He is a US citizen and a Texas resident, so I see no reason he should not be afforded the same rights the rest of us have to get a CHL. It does however present some difficulties.

Edited to change from "little" English to "slow" with English.

2. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX

:hammerhead: Wow....I'm not an instructor so I'll refrain.....but have strong opinion on this one.

3. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    The state of Texas says they will provide an interpreter, but I've never tried it. A gentleman with the same request called me last week. I was unable to find a Spanish-speaking instructor for him.

4. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I will not allow the student to provide his/her own translator. Too easy to cheat.

I speak English. If the student cannot comprehend the lessons, read the test and answer on his own, then he/she does not take my class; regardless of the reason.

He/she may have a "right" to his CHL, but there is nothing that requires I disrupt the class and give special treatment for a student over a language barrier.

5. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    +1000.........That's what I was refraining from saying!

6. Seabear1500

Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I'm sure you do, everyone does. I said what I said because I know the details. This was not intended to start any kind of debate.

7. Seabear1500

Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I agree, like I told him I could not teach a bi-lengual class. He understood and was not asking for one. I was merely wondering how it could be done or if it was possible. You know....the curiosity that killed the cat. :texas:

8. Seabear1500

Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Okie, I understand where you are coming from . This particular person was not asking for help or favors, he was more concerned with NOT slowing the class down. I appreciated his concern and therefore am checking the possibilities. I should reword my original post, he can speak , read and write English, he just said he was very slow at it.

9. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    :happy0001: Can definitely understand the "very slow" explanation and hope this works out for both of you.

10. Maxpower

Maxpower Active Member

May 26, 2009
    I can speak,read, and write German but I am very slow with it - so I can understand his problem