• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kozmic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    Hey... at least DJ said, "fanboys" (which I interpreted to just mean, "people who are fans of..."), as opposed to the interweb-ubiquitous, "fanbois" (which, when used, is absolutely meant as a derogatory term meaning, "those who blindly follow/buy/promote a particular brand for no real logical reason other than they believe it makes them look cool or better than others...").

lol

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    I just wanna meet for drinks.. sheesh. Anyone that rips the idiots and assclown here as much as he does deserves a free drink.

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I have no issue hitting a man size target at 300 yard with either my 9" AAC or my 8" Noveske. Plenty accurate for my needs.Main advantage of the AAC is that it will cycle subsonic without a suppressor.

kozmic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    I have no issue hitting a man size target at 300 yard with either my 9" AAC or my 8" Noveske. Plenty accurate for my needs.Main advantage of the AAC is that it will cycle subsonic without a suppressor.
    I have been thinking pretty hard on this one too... is there really any reason to want to shoot non-suppressed subs, other then being able to say, "it will do it"? When do you guys shoot this way?

I ask, because I had pretty much settled on ~8" shooting supers non-suppressed, and subs suppressed, in order to keep overall length to about the same with my can attached (and just accept that it will/may not cycle subs non-suppressed).

Is it just a matter of function in any form for the ammo you may have on hand?

Last edited:

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    11.2gr of 1680 cycles an 8.2" noveske without a can everytime with 208 amaxs.
    I have been thinking pretty hard on this one too... is there really any reason to want to shoot non-suppressed subs, other then being able to say, "it will do it"? When do you guys shoot this way?

I ask, because I had pretty much settled on ~8" shooting supers non-suppressed, and subs suppressed, in order to keep overall length to about the same with my can attached (and just accept that it will/may not cycle subs non-suppressed).

Main advantage is ease of subsonic load development since you dont want to work up subsonic loads with a can on in case the bullet is tumbling. Thats the only time I shoot my blackout unsuppressed, its just too much fun with the can on. I have a 9" AAC barrel but used a 16" noveske til my stamp came in. Either will serve you well, I wouldve went 8.2" noveske had they been available when it came time to buy a short barrel. Figures about 2 weeks after I bought the AAC the flood gates opened and 8.2 Noveskes were everywhere for the first time in a year and a half.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park

I won't have a can for mine for a good while and I will still be leading subs because it uses way less powder. Another reason is, if you cast, you can deep hollow point the lee 230 and make a devastating round. At least that is the experience of one guy on 300blktalk. He took a whitetail with it and says he's never had a blood trail so goodand the pictures seem to support that. A blind man could follow this trail.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I won't have a can for mine for a good while and I will still be leading subs because it uses way less powder. Another reason is, if you cast, you can deep hollow point the lee 230 and make a devastating round. At least that is the experience of one guy on 300blktalk. He took a whitetail with it and says he's never had a blood trail so goodand the pictures seem to support that. A blind man could follow this trail.

Why would you hunt with subsonics if you dont have a can? Subs without a can are still pretty dang loud.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    I'm pretty sure I don't wanna go hunting with the blind guy. BUT..... it would seem that your accuracy would be more consistent in the short ranges, because of no sonic / subsonic transition.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    All four blackouts I've loaded for will shoot sub one inch groups regularly at 100yds. Both of my blackouts will put 5 on a 4" plate at 300yds with boring regularity. A bullet transitioning into supersonic flight happens in the barrel, it in no way makes it more accurate to stay subsonic. Accuracy is actually less with subsonics, the bullet isnt as stable and is much more sensitive to atmospheric conditions, especially the less than aerodynamic cast bullets.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    All four blackouts I've loaded for will shoot sub one inch groups regularly at 100yds. Both of my blackouts will put 5 on a 4" plate at 300yds with boring regularity. A bullet transitioning into supersonic flight happens in the barrel, it in no way makes it more accurate to stay subsonic. Accuracy is actually less with subsonics, the bullet isnt as stable and is much more sensitive to atmospheric conditions, especially the less than aerodynamic cast bullets.

Keep in mind though with a deep hollow point you are taking off weight from the front of the bullet past the driving bands, which actually makes the subsonic bullets more stable. Add to that, at least in the case of the Lee 230, powder coating seems to make them more accurate (it's a boat tail and without the PC they suffer from gas cutting). This configuration certainly gives you plenty of accuracy for hunting purposes. Also keep in mind less stability means greater chance of tumbling upon impact. The deep hollow pointed 230s actually work by fragmenting the front of the bullet and then the base gets some wicked tumbling causing some pretty nasty exits.

Granted the only person I've seen try this still regards subsonic hunting to be more along the lines of bowhunting (his shots have been within I think 75 yds), he never takes shots that are very long due to the rainbow trajectory and increasingly tricky holdovers the further you shoot it. I probably will be sticking to supers myself when I finally get to take mine hunting since I'm rather new to this and will have alot to learn about not spooking prey. My plan was to load the Lee 155 mold designed for x39 (sized down to .310). There have been reports of this round mushrooming well at max velocities with just straight WW alloy. Regardless I will also be doing some wet phone book testing with both before I even think about going hunting with either.

Hopefully soon someone with gel will be able to do some proper testing with some of these cast bullets I speak of. I know twang n bang on youtube has already gotten a chance to test the NOE 247gr which oddly enough just went straight through the gel with no tumbling whatsoever (probably because of the rather long length of driving bands making this a surprisingly stable subsonic). BTW here is the thread on 300blktalk discussing the efficacy of subsonic hunting 300BlkTalk ? View topic - 300 blk Subsonic Hunting Primer.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Id much rather sling 110s at 2450 than 150s at 2050 for hunting. Much better ballistics and terminal effects. The 110 barnes blacktip and 125 SSTs are awesome. Especially if youre new to hunting they will give you a much larger margin of error. 150gr bullets just suck in the blackout due to small case capacity. Its a magnum pistol powder so it doesnt have the long burn needed to push that weight of bullet to any meaningful velocity compared to other options.

I have no experience with cast bullets so I cant help you there. 208 amaxs do tumble pretty good and are very accurate. I was just wondering what the purpose of hunting with subsonics is when you dont have a can. Im interested to see how your casting foray ends up. If it works out I may have to copy you. I want to cast for my 458 socom since its so damn expensive for the 500-600gr bullets.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Don't get me wrong, if I could find ether mythical blacktips or SSTs I would get them. Unfortunately they go incredibly quick and the blacktips are rather nasty in price.

Well definitely keep you guys apprised of my resultsonce I get to test my options on phonebooks and eventually piggies. Well also try and get some sent out to the gel testing guys on YouTube.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    SSTs have been MIA for a while for some reason. Hopefully they come back in stock soon as my stockpile is running low on them. The nosler 110 varmageddons are pretty nasty little pills too. Nosler 125 BTs and Speer 125 TNTs will work in a pinch as well. Im a firm believer in a big hydrostatic shock which in the blackout really only happens with the lighter bullets that can get enough speed.

You know you can buy ballistics gel pretty cheap and do your own test right? Its fairly inexpensive especially if youre not looking for calibrated blocks.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill

I have never shot mine subsonic without a can since the paperwork on the can came in. Really no reason to do so except for load development. I was just throwing that out there for general knowledge.

kozmic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    I have never shot mine subsonic without a can since the paperwork on the can came in. Really no reason to do so except for load development. I was just throwing that out there for general knowledge.
    Okay, thanks for the info- This is what I suspected for myself as well.

Top Bottom