• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • carney

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2008
    Outside DFW metromess.
    I have an xbox 360 that is currently hooked up to my network via an ethernet cord, that is ran from the router in another room. I am about to add a playstation 3 to the setup and my question is would i be able to just use a switch or hub to be able to connect both of them off the same main ethernet cord. Or would I need another router to hook them both up to, to be able to get online with them. FYI both will not be actually "connected" to the internet at the same time. I just want to avoid the hassle of having to switch the ethernet cord all the time. I would also like to save a little money buying a switch instead of another router. Thanks guys any help is appreciated.
    DK Firearms

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well actually, usually hubs can be found cheaper than switches. I would recommend just doing a hub. Either would work just fine. I'm not 100% familiar with all of the hardware and software aspects of the 360 and PS3 as it relates to online access, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.

Thumper_6119

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Amarillo, Texas
    A hub or a switch will work just fine, no additional router is necessary so long as the hub/switch is behind your current modem (cable or DSL). You should be able to just plug it all in a rock on.

ronc0011

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    The only advantage to a switch is that it has built in intelligence so it can negotiate traffic flow. The xbox has to have a network adapter in it in order to operate on a network so a switch / hub would be fine. In fact what your thinking of on a router is in fact a switch. The side of the router with all the ports is a switch and the side that has the WAN connection is the router.

Top Bottom