• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • notfromaroundhere

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I am a transplant here in Dallas who comes from a state where guns and actually owning them or using them is frowned upon much more than here in Texas. In honor of our soon-to-be Commander-in-Chief and his anti-gun views, I am wanting to purchase a pistol that will mainly be for self-defense. I'm also trying to talk my wife into learning how to use it properly....which is being met with mixed reviews....

I just got a sale ad from Cabelas advertising a Smith & Wesson Sigma 9mm for $280 after rebate. This seems like a good price....is it? And is this a decent gun for my intended purpose of self-defense? I've read some mixed reviews on it--some people love it, and others hate it....

I have fired a handgun just a few times in my 40+ years.... Do you recommend that I take some sort of training? If yes, what and where? Also, do any of you have recommendations on a pistol range? I live in the SW corner of Dallas....

If you have any other advice for a newbie, I would appreciate it!:1zhelp:

Thanks!
    Lynx Defense

CJS3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    Welcome to Texas Pard!
    +1 on the Sigma. It is an underated S&W pistol, and at $280, a very good buy.
    Since you're new to firearms, I would recommed looking up an NRA certified instructor and you and your wife get some basic instruction. As far as ranges go, I'm not in the DFW area, so the phone book can be more informative than me.

Again, welcome to God's country.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Welcome to Texas Pard!
    +1 on the Sigma. It is an underated S&W pistol, and at $280, a very good buy.
    Since you're new to firearms, I would recommed looking up an NRA certified instructor and you and your wife get some basic instruction. As far as ranges go, I'm not in the DFW area, so the phone book can be more informative than me.

Again, welcome to God's country.
    I disagree on the Sigma, I would sopend a little more and find a pistol with a little better rep, I owned a Sigma, and in my opinion, junk. Horrible trigger and spotty reliability. But I deffinatley recomend finding an instructor, and I am sure some of the DFW people on here will chime in soon about ranges....

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    owned 2 sigmas....they never missed a beat.
    i think for those on a budget they are a good buy...
    they are at the low end of my spectrum, but i wouldnt hesitate to own one.
    as stated get some good instruction from an NRA instructor and shoot as regularly as you can.
    welcome to the club....

txhog1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    I too, am a fairly new gun owner, so I'm not qualified to comment on the quality of that handgun, though it is advertised at Academy in today's DMN for $249. I will say that I am very happy with my Bersa Thunder9. If you're in SW Dallas, Bullseye Range in Duncanville should be convenient for you.

notfromaroundhere

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Bought the Sigma 9mm -- Advice on ear protection?

I too, am a fairly new gun owner, so I'm not qualified to comment on the quality of that handgun, though it is advertised at Academy in today's DMN for $249. I will say that I am very happy with my Bersa Thunder9. If you're in SW Dallas, Bullseye Range in Duncanville should be convenient for you.

Thanks for the info on the sale at Academy. I bit the bullet (pardon the pun) and went to Academy and purchased the 9mm Sigma and some ammo (hollow point for home protection and target rounds). And I plan on checking out the Duncanville Bullseye later this week....

Now I have a different question. Does anyone have any recommendations on what kind of hearing protection I should get for the range? And where to get them?

Thanks!

djspump2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    Well, I am sorry to hear that you bought the Sigma. I know $280 is attractive for a handgun, but you get what you pay for. My dad owned a Sigma until a little while ago. I shot it several times and hated every single time I shot it. It had a very long trigger pull as well as a very hard trigger and it jammed frequently. If you are looking for the best pistol for your money, you should always go with a Glock or an XD. A Glock will never fail you and my XD has never failed me and by that I do mean jam on you.

I always double up on the hearing protection at the range. Winchester makes some of the highest rated in-ear foam plugs I have found at a rating of 32 NRR. Then put your over-ear hearing protection on and you will be set to go.

Congrats on the gun purchase. I sincerely hope yours is better than my dad's was.

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    I wouldn't scrimp on my first handgun purchase. I'd get something better i.e. FN's FNP line for budget minded people and HK's for those not budget minded. Although I have seen HK's in the $615, USP, to $815 for an HK45. I paid $510 w/tax for my FNP40 at bass proshop.

www.fnhusa.com

www.hk-usa.com then look under civilian products

also look on gunbroker for some deals or see what price everyone else is selling what your looking for

www.gunbroker.com

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have two Sigma's. A 40C and a 9V. Neither has ever hiccupped in over 1000 rds. The .40 is my daily carry gun. My wife hates them both. Trigger too heavy for her and she is a lefty that does not like the mag release. The trigger can be lightened but not with out pissing off Smith if it ever has to go back to them.

S&W had some issues with the first of the .40's. Serial number prefix PAA and PAB were recalled for chambers that were too tight.

For a female with limited strength, I would recommend a Springfield XD-9. If she has a good strong grip the Sigma is fine.

Top Bottom