Gun Zone Deals

..question..is a Red Dot on a pistol.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Victoria TX
    For what you are wanting to do, I'd recommend the RM06 (3.25 MOA adjustable brightness).

I'm going to have to back off my statement that I never see my sights.

If it's daylight out and I am going to draw and extend my handgun with a two-hand hold, it's true that I typically don't see my sights.

I finished a night gunfighting class in San Antonio just a couple hours ago. When doing something like holding a flashlight in one hand and drawing with the other, I sure did need those sights.

I took the class because it is so rare that you get to train at night. Also because I recently put tritium suppressor sights on that G19. I was pleasantly surprised that it worked out well. Some folks don't like the tritium/RMR combo.

I suspect you'd be very pleased with an RM06. The ability to adjust that brightness makes all the difference in the world.

Venture Surplus ad

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    thanks for the suggestion - I'm going to check here ( TSD COMBAT SYSTEMS TRIJICON RMR SIGHT PACKAGE FOR GLOCK ) to see what the milling, RDS, sights "package" will run to have installed on one of my Glocks (unable to decide between the g24 & the g34 - tho the g34 would make more sense ($ wise) for target shooting - I don't reload)

Last edited:

zentanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    I have a red dot on my 22/45 and it's far more accurate than I'm capable of. One of my favorite ways to shoot with it is at my 7" steel target @90 yards.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    I've placed an order for a red dot + install + suppressor sights.....now, just have to decide on "which" of our Glocks to have the work done (and, my Wife is leaving the country tomorrow evening so I'll wait to send the slide to the jobbers after she' gone - it'll sorta be a gift for her.....)

going with the suggestion that ECS (above) made, for the Trijicon RM0 3.25 - thanks for all the replies fellows

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I've placed an order for a red dot + install + suppressor sights.....now, just have to decide on "which" of our Glocks to have the work done (and, my Wife is leaving the country tomorrow evening so I'll wait to send the slide to the jobbers after she' gone - it'll sorta be a gift for her.....)

going with the suggestion that ECS (above) made, for the Trijicon RM0 3.25 - thanks for all the replies fellows

I would go with the RM02 or RM07 with the 6.5 MOA dot. It sounds big, but it's narrower than the width of your front sight. I've been running Red Dot Pistols for about four years and have 4 models, two TSD 17's and two TSD 19's.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    I would go with the RM02 or RM07 with the 6.5 MOA dot. It sounds big, but it's narrower than the width of your front sight. I've been running Red Dot Pistols for about four years and have 4 models, two TSD 17's and two TSD 19's.

curious now, why would you recommend the 6.5 moa over the 3.25 ? please remember that this is for target shooting, 15> yards thanks

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    you seem to be the definitive source of pistol RDS info so, before I "do anything", let me explain what it is that I'm wanting to do with that set-up and perhaps you can offer further advise.....

will probably have one mounted on our G34 (vs our G24) and it absolutely won't be used for self defense - range target shooting only - simply want to extend the shooter's (me and my Wife) ability by having a better sight system - would like to give ourselves "a chance" at targets out to, say, 100yds (but mostly 25yds) - quick acquisition isn't a factor (I've noticed that in the past couple of years I'm having more trouble "seeing" the sights/target alignment - old eyes getting older with each range outing)

so, with the above in mind, are you still suggesting the larger dot ?

thanks

AS AN ADD : when I bought the G34 I had TFOs put on the pistol - and to tell the truth, I prefer the original stock Glock sights

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    One interesting thing worth considering is the Leupold Deltapoint. I've only used one a few times but, considering the fine top point of the triangular "dot", I could see some interesting possibilities in terms of accuracy and how you zero the gun. It's a 7.5 MOA triangle, which would be a fairly decent size for speed shooting at closer ranges. I have yet to see a definitive measurement of the tip of the triangle, but I mean it has to be 1 MOA or less I would guess since it's the tip of a triangle. ;) Anyways, the Deltapoint isn't as durable as the RMR's, but there are some interesting possibilities to consider with this option, especially for a target gun IMO.

One of the other interesting aspects about RDS that doesn't seem to be mentioned as much or at least not in this particular aspect, is something in particular that can be achieved with the ability to maintain a target focus. Basically, clear focus on the hands and origin of threats. With iron sights, you have to do constant and fast focal shifts. Identify the target. Is he a threat? Where are his hands? Does he have a weapon? Could he be reaching for a weapon? Do I need to engage? If so, shift focus back to the sights (to the degree and level of focus that the shot dictates), engage the threat, then at some point after followthrough, shift focus back to the threat and reassess the situation. A whole LOT going on there, and that can get very mentally/visually fatiguing. With a RDS, you do have an increased ability to maintain focus on the perceived threat, ability to clearly identify the threat/suspect, see what their hands are doing, and accurately engage if necessary without breaking the focus and clarity of vision, being able to more quickly reassess, continue engaging, or perform any other actions necessary without having to necessarily constantly shift focus back and forth. I personally think it's the same situation as RDS on a carbine. Namely, people need to learn their fundamentals and master use of their sights so they have a solid baseline to work from. That being said, there are certainly some interesting possibilities and definite performance advantages that a RDS can allow a shooter to take advantage of.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    I would find a 3.5 MOA model to view. Using my RM07 at 100 yards gives me repeatable hits and it's a 6.5 MOA dot.

you've convinced me - changing my order from the 3.5 to the 6.5 - my G34 slide will be enroute tomorrow to One Source

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Didn't Burris have a similar problem that try corrected by moving the sensor?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I put a Dr Optic on my 34 about ten years ago. It lasted about 6 months before it was pitted out from ejection port debris. This lead me to conclude Optics behind ejection ports is a bad idea. Put it up on the slide.

I now run with Carver mount and a railway for years trouble free.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Been running RMRed Glocks much longer than 6 months. Matter of fact, I was the first SI Staff to have one. The very one reviewed on this forum. After dozens of classes, hours in a duty holster, and thousands of rounds the original TSD Combat Systems Advanced Combat Glock is still going strong. I recently had the Lone Wolf slide and barrel cerakoted by Garrett Landers of Landers Weapons Solutions in Lumberton TX.
    936260_10201200866525260_59420555_n.jpg

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The auto brightness feature is a pain in the butt. Turn on a weapon light and dot goes away.

That's why it wouldn't be my first choice for a defensive gun. The RMR is about the best option. The Aimpoint T1 would be excellent and ridiculously durable, but it's pretty damn bulky for a slide-mounted setup.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    One thing I noticed after going RDS on my rifles was that after a long-ish range session, I didn't have eye strain from constantly changing focus. It's so much more comfortable and natural to shoot while your eyes are focused on the target.

Top Bottom