• ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All.

In case readers/members are wondering WHY I'm writing about women's clothes in the 19th Century, my Darla & I are "gathering information" for our "living history" garments for our 1820-45 Texas "common settler's impressions".
    (We plan to portray the first married couple from our family who emigrated to Texas in 1821 from Northern Mississippi. -The young married couple had everything that they brought to Texas in their saddlebags or tied behind their saddles, except for tools/heavy household things that were packed on the "good, young, red mule" that Leticia Fey had received for her main wedding present, when she married Robert Henry Louis Red Fern, just before they got married on 24DEC1820 & almost immediately left Mississippi at dawn on 25DEC1820. - Upon their arrival in Nacogdoches, the Spanish Provincial Governor GAVE them "a league & a levy" of "good bottom land" in what is now Panola County.)
    Note: a "league & a levy" was then about 640 plus 180 acres of land or a total of 820 acres.

Darla is rebuilding/redecorating the interior of an office building & asked me to do the clothing research for both of our "impressions".
    (AUTHENTIC frontier-era Texas clothing is a MUCH more complicated subject, than I first thought.)

yours, satx
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Incidentally, what garment for MEN was REQUIRED between the the 1700-1860 period to be considered to be "decently dressed in public" & in some places might get you reported to the city authorities if you were NOT wearing??

yours, satx

nlam01

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    To All,

Incidentally, what garment for MEN was REQUIRED between the the 1700-1860 period to be considered to be "decently dressed in public" & in some places might get you reported to the city authorities if you were NOT wearing??

yours, satx
    I want to say a cravat, but I'm curious to know what the real answer may be. I love history!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    To All.

In case readers/members are wondering WHY I'm writing about women's clothes in the 19th Century, my Darla & I are "gathering information" for our "living history" garments for our 1820-45 Texas "common settler's impressions".
    (We plan to portray the first married couple from our family who emigrated to Texas in 1821 from Northern Mississippi. -The young married couple had everything that they brought to Texas in their saddlebags or tied behind their saddles, except for tools/heavy household things that were packed on the "good, young, red mule" that Leticia Fey had received for her main wedding present, when she married Robert Henry Louis Red Fern, just before they got married on 24DEC1820 & almost immediately left Mississippi at dawn on 25DEC1820. - Upon their arrival in Nacogdoches, the Spanish Provincial Governor GAVE them "a league & a levy" of "good bottom land" in what is now Panola County.)
    Note: a "league & a levy" was then about 640 plus 180 acres of land or a total of 820 acres.

Darla is rebuilding/redecorating the interior of an office building & asked me to do the clothing research for both of our "impressions".
    (AUTHENTIC frontier-era Texas clothing is a MUCH more complicated subject, than I first thought.)

yours, satx
    I thought you were just playing “remember when”.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I want to say a cravat, but I'm curious to know what the real answer may be. I love history!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

dArmi_beretta; avidclif,

NICE TRY, gents but no cigar.

The answer is a VEST, buttoned-up over your shirt. = IF you were NOT wearing a vest "in town" you might well have been reported to the "authorities" for being "indecently dressed in public" & "heavily fined".
    (Working men & slaves, whether indentured or "bond", while actually doing manual labor "got a pass" provided that they were only "briefly in the public view". - IF you were doing something "dirty", like shoeing a horse", you were expected to wear a smock or long apron to "cover yourself decently", IF you could be viewed by "casually passing persons".)

SOME eastern cities reportedly had local ordinances before about 1830 that the head should be "covered", too, with a hat/cap/scarf/etc..
    (Ladies were expected always to be "covered" If "in the public view")

Note: A militiaman, who arrived in GEN Houston's camp (in a soldier's period letter home to his wife), after walking from what is now Texarkana, TX, was said to be, "clad in rags & barefoot, as he had walked a far distance", "indecent in his personal dress & unfit to be viewed by ladies & children, of tender years."
    (That part of the letter sounds like he was nearly naked.)

The letter "home" then indicates that, "- - - - -- before the next dawn, that the man was fed soup, bread & coffee. He was thereafter issued foodstuffs, a bowl, spoon, blanket, musket & horn" and (later) "we did suddenly gather up & gave unto him a good shirt, a cloth cap & a vest, so that he might cover his human person decently".

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

In another case, a TX militiaman, who arrived in GEN Houston's camp wearing a MEXICAN cavalry officer's dress uniform, nearly got shot by a Texas perimeter guard upon coming into view, as a "possible hostile".

The document, which we moderns would call "The Morning Report", states that , "The good mister W(smudged illegible) had been so poorly dressed that when he encountered a Mexican officer napping near a stream, that he brained the Mexican officer with a convenient rock" & thereafter. "- - - - donned the officer's uniform, helmet, sword & took his horse to continue his journey to our camp."

yours, satx

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    c120e4c9dacc5eee4ce5c4af42267f4e.jpg

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Attachments