• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deepfried

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    streetman
    I've been trying to find a pistol grip shotgun with a short barrel for varmits. Last Friday I found one at Gander Mountain (Mossberg 500). I did all the paperwork then went looking around while they ran the background check. When I came back the clerk said it had not gone through. He said it didn't show a problem but sometimes they take longer to run the check. He said they would call me when it went through and if the state or whoever did not turn it down within 8 days I could come back and pick up the gun even if they did not hear from them.
    I read on this forum something about there being a $5.00 fee for AOW's.
    Could the clerk not have done the paper work right. He said nothing about the $5.00 fee.

Thanks for any help and I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread.
    Military Camp

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    What was the length of the barrel? If it was 18 1/2" or more (commercially available lengths) then it is not an AOW. Gander Mountain would not be selling any NFA items that require the ATF paperwork. Most likely you were just delayed through the NICS check (form 4473) due to a common name or past offense that they need to check into further. Despite what some believe not everyone can walk in and buy a gun and walk out. If your were not denied, then you should be able to pick it up within 5 days if they have not received a call back denying you before that time passes. The clerk should've told you what day you could pick it up in this event.

Deepfried

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    streetman
    Thanks for explaining that. I'm sure it was 18 1/2 or more. It just got to me cause some guy was buying his 12 year kid a mean looking ar-15 type rifle and about 300 rounds of ammo and it went right through. I'll give them a call maybe he said 8 days by mistake. Thanks again!

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Yea just called them. The 8 days is a Gander Moutain Policy. Then they told me thats 8 working days.

It's their policy to hold 8 days for what?

I think I'd be looking for somewhere else to buy a gun.

I don't have a lot of good things to say about Gander Mt. anyway, based on how they treat/strong arm/black mail their vendors. And they'll pay on whatever terms they want to as they go, even small businesses that can't afford to operate on ever flexing terms, for example.

Top Bottom