• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CJS3

Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    It was always my understanding that the K frame 357 was developed for LE carry. It would allow for 357 combat loads in a lighter pistol for on duty carry. 38Spl. ammo would be used for qualification shooting. Problems didn't arise until the civilian market started using K frames for full power 357 shooting all the time. The L frame was developed to alleviate the proplems inherant with the K frame design, related to the 357Mag.

+1 on the N frame strength. What a tank.

CowDog

Sep 26, 2008
    South of Iowa Park
    I thank you good folks for all the replies. I do believe I have a grip on the situation, now.

K-frame for moderate loads, say +P .38 Spl. ammunition, and magnum loads for SD. N frames for heavy duty shooting with magnum loads on a full time basis. Good information. I certainly appreciate all the helpful replies.

cd

robocop10mm

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Plus the K frame had a problem with top strap stretching with the .357.
    I am a Smith and Wesson trained/authorized LE armorer. Its not that the frame (or top strap) stretched, but the battering peened the crane (the part the cylinder spins on) and causes it to shorten. The prescribed method of correcting this is to lengthen the crane and resquare it. You can also use what is called end shake bushings. These are very thin washer like devices that install in the cylinder to take up the space left by the shortened crane.

I can give more detailed instructions via PM for those interested. I have repaired many dozens of Model-66's in this manner. It is pretty straight forward.

skoro

May 7, 2008
    West Texas
    I have a pair of Model 13 .357's with 4" barrels. From what I understand, the flame-cutting problem exists with lighter bullets like the 130gr and below. I always shoot 140gr or heavier and have never had a problem.

Top Bottom