• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Mine is due for renewal so I went to the online thingy to see if I can do it. The first qualification you must have #1 is that you renewed your drivers license in person the first time.

Okay? Does that mean that the first time that when I moved back to Texas I physically went in and did the work or does that mean after that I had to again show up in person to renew and then NOW I can do it online?
    Target Sports

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    If you decide to go to their offices, take your DD214 if you have one to prove your veteran status (if it applies to you). They will put that on your DL and it comes in handy.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    You can renew once every 12 years online. I renewed my license online 6 years ago. So this year I had to go to the DPS to renew. In 6 years, I can renew online. 6 years after that (12 years from now) I'll have to go back downtown (unless the law gets revised).

sent from deep space

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Side note, try to renew it. I believe the system will kick you if you have to do it in person.
    ^This - no mater what the rules say try it online anyway. I thought I was going to need to do it in person, but when tried online it told me I was good to go. Just got my new one in the mail today.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    ^This - no mater what the rules say try it online anyway. I thought I was going to need to do it in person, but when tried online it told me I was good to go. Just got my new one in the mail today.

Well I did not try it online after I read through the DPS/DMV government website. I got to the part where it said that you have to go in if you have never renewed before so I went in. When I arrived I asked the lady that was helping me and she said that I had to come in person after I waited to close to the expiration date? I didn't read that far into the gov website that stated that. Seems that there are holes in the DMV gov site if there are so many discrepancies.

TIP: The eyesight checker machine they have is not built for tall people. When trying to use it the lady kept saying that I was reading the wrong numbers and I kept telling her I was reading what she was asking e to read. After I kept crouching lower and lower and then finally to point I could not bend down further I finally saw the angle I was supposed to be looking at. They have it where you're supposed to squeeze your nose through this eird plastic form which I was hesitant to do. Breezed through the numbers after that. If I wore glasses I would just bring in some higher powered ones to get through the bogus test.

FWIW the Lewisville DMV was BLAZING FAST and the people were very nice and helpful. Whatever its done.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I just renewed mine in person and had absolutely no problems. It took about 30 minutes and they have an automated system that calls you in order of arrival. It is true, if you renewed online last time, the only option a civilian has is to go in to the office. Some of the info online suggests that you need all kinds of ID. I had my birth certificate, passport SS card etc. I was asked for NO additional ID.

A Caution...........almost ALL of the online sites to renew are private contractors who will send in your docs. I didn't trust them. Be sure the one that you pick is the REAL TX DL renewal site. The others are private businesses.

Flash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Also , you can't renew online if you have a class A or B license. You have to renew those in person....everytime.

Top Bottom