• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    The 5.7 runs flawlessly without the can but is somewhat finicky with the can installed. Called Tornado and they mentioned seeing this before with the ss196 ammo I am running and suspect it will clear up with a few hundred rounds. I must admit I did notice imrpovment after a couple hundred rounds but it is still not perfect. Accurate fun pistol to say the least. May end up being the perfect pack gun for hiking.

Regarding turnaround time from Tornado; must have been me name dropping my buddy madhouse that helped.

Chris

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Can someone please educate me about suppressors? Not meaning to hijack this thread, but why is a supersonic round like a 5.7 a good candidate for a suppressor?

Inquiring minds want to know....

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    Good Question.

Desiring a suppressor for a function depends on your definition of needs for a “good candidate” for that purpose. Suppressors have several uses of which can be further broken down to component attributes.

1. Suppressors reduce recoil - great for accurate shooting
    2. Suppressors reduce muzzle blast – handy for someone hiding the location of where a shot originates minimizing dirt and debris being tossed about.
    3. Suppressors reduce muzzle flash – nice for hiding origination of the shot, flammable environments, and maintaining night vision
    4. Suppressors reduce barrel whip – again nice for rifle accuracy, basically a large weight stabilizing the barrel
    5. Suppressors act as a very nice muzzle crown – another aid for accuracy but may be more attributable to item 4 above.

Sound from a firearm has 4 sources;
    1. Muzzle blast – generally the hardest part on the shooter
    2. Bullet flight noise “supersonic crack” A suppressor does not hide the crack but it is hard to know where the bullet originated without the blast as an indicator.
    3. Bullet hitting target “you will find this very loud when you start shooting suppressed”
    4. Mechanical action of the firearm. “why some rifles have an action lock and bolt action .22s are so quite”. My MP5 on auto is very noticeable with the bolt bouncing back and forth while suppressed, as are most autos.

For my long range .308 I always use full power loads and appreciate the tighter groups, reduced recoil, less abuse to my ears, and minimal muzzle blast. For the 5.7 either with my P90 or 5.7 pistol I appreciate the lower muzzle blast noise and can live with the sonic crack.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    What he said . . . . seriously, the supressor makes even supersonic rounds hearing safe in most instances and when used on a 10.5 or a 9.25" (in my case) M16 (or SBR) it makes like MUCH more pleasurable by removing the MUZZLE Blast from the short barrel.

Top Bottom