Questions about .40 caliber ammo for Daewoo triple action

amemmons

Nov 12, 2013
I am trying to educate myself regarding a type of ammo for a Daewoo DH40 THR. The ammunition in question is S&W .40 caliber frangible hollow point. My questions: 1) Are they truly good for home defense, 2) what is the nature of their 'destruction'? 3) When a person is shot with one, what is the intended outcome of the shot? I will PM anyone with need for more information. I am asking because I was shot with one in my own home 3 years ago, and forensics ruled the nature/behavior of the bullet as a freak occurrence. I am just trying to better understand.

Kennydale

Jun 3, 2013
Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
I am sorry you were a victim of a shooting. I am not the scientific type (I am sure there are many here who can tell you of Gel Tests and ballistic info). What I understand is that there is NO MAGIC BULLET. I understand that modern ammunition charatcteristics between 9mm, .40S&W & .45ACP are not that disimilar. I myself use .40S&W (Hornady Critical Duty in 175grain) as a self defense carry ammo and at the range i prefer Winchester (Ball Ammo) White Box in 180 Grain. I have no scientific background on this. I know my firearm will shoot this ammo. How well depends on me. I believe it's all about shot placement. If this firearm is what you have to use then practice and train with it.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
Frangible bullets are designed to break up quickly on impact. Typically less preset ration through interior walls and attackers. Typically seen to be inadequate for self defense due to their intended characteristics.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
May 19, 2009
Republic of Texas
I love the DH40 pistols, they are underrated. Try the Lehigh Defense ME (Maximum Expansion) available through their website. Many different self defense rounds are satisfactory for your purpose. Frangible would not be my choice, but it is still an effective round. WWB for the range any day.
If you remove your magazine from the pistol frequently, it is a good idea to remove a few rounds and change their position in the magazine. Not doing this tends to loosen and malform the top round possibly causing a failure to feed. If you leave it loaded, then no problem.

Last edited:

amemmons

Nov 12, 2013
My husband said that is why he uses them, so that if an intruder entered our home, he would not have to worry about it traveling into the kids' room on other side of wall. We had a very old house at the time.

amemmons

Nov 12, 2013
No angle, still just getting over my aversion to it, and looked for answers previously unable to be answered by experts involved. However, got great insight regarding the combination of the ammo and the firearm from this forum, the alternation of the rounds in the magazine was something I had not heard of before, I was raised with revolvers, and this was my first experience good or bad with anything magazine loaded. The only thing we were told is that the ammo was warped and that caused the accidental discharge- but they never could give a reason for it back then or since. Until my husband acquired that handgun- we had never heard of it before. He had it for 3 years with no problems, but it still had the same ammo in the magazine for those years. He would fire at the range a few shots here and there, but never from that particular magazine- it stayed at home, designated for home defense purpose only. Lesson learned.

Southpaw

Plague enthusiast
TGT Supporter
Mar 30, 2009
Guadalupe Co.
No angle, still just getting over my aversion to it, and looked for answers previously unable to be answered by experts involved. However, got great insight regarding the combination of the ammo and the firearm from this forum, the alternation of the rounds in the magazine was something I had not heard of before, I was raised with revolvers, and this was my first experience good or bad with anything magazine loaded. The only thing we were told is that the ammo was warped and that caused the accidental discharge- but they never could give a reason for it back then or since. Until my husband acquired that handgun- we had never heard of it before. He had it for 3 years with no problems, but it still had the same ammo in the magazine for those years. He would fire at the range a few shots here and there, but never from that particular magazine- it stayed at home, designated for home defense purpose only. Lesson learned.
Where was the gun at the time of the accidental discharge?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
TGT Supporter
May 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Tx.
If I understand correctly, you are afraid of the ammo because you have been shot with it.
This seems perfectly rational to me.
As far as I know, your husbands logic makes perfect sense as far as your children's safety is concerned.

jmho

ETA: Welcome to the Forum

ETA #2: I would be very worried if you say your husband is using the gun that mis-fired once already.

Last edited:
Top Bottom