• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    With all due respect, I don't feel like there is the complete story here. It sounds like operator error/QUOTE]

I'm going with this. Certain things just don't add up here.

You claim in post#6 that you were told the cause was "warped ammo". No one in their right mind would blame the ammo under the circumstances you describe.

By 2 pieces do you mean you had a barrel/slide assemble and a grip/frame, or did you have the slide on the slide and frame together without the barrel.

Neither one makes sense. Something else happened.
    Military Camp

Last edited:

amemmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    Our household has had the strain of operator error looming daily. Hence, I am still trying to understand the nature of the gun, if the ammo could have anything to do with it, or if it was anything else. I know that we were sitting in the living room, he was assembling the gun- he has no explanation as to why he inserted a loaded magazine, again he did not store it loaded. The barrel was in his left hand, rest of the gun in his right, he somehow clicked the magazine upward with his right palm, and it discharged- I am not as fluent as many of you, I just know there was no 'top' of the gun- that was in the other hand. The gun was pointed to the floor, thus hitting through the top of my foot, it did not cause a through and through, it ricocheted and turned toward the outside of my foot, causing crushing and cauterizing of bone and tissue and taking out 85% bone at the outside with a 4- 5 inch exit- the surgeon says the injury more resembles an explosion that a GSW- which baffled him and his colleagues. My husband is not allowed to have guns in our home anymore nor near our children, however he does since have 2 handguns and several rifles now that he keeps with him when he travels or they stay at the family ranch. I was sitting 10 feet away, the bullet grazed his hand that was holding the gun before it made it to me. I am not looking for opinion on operator error, just experienced information about the gun and ammo. The gun owner's complacency is not a question- it is already established. This is the full story- hence why it is so strange, and baffled the police who responded out of protocol, as well as everyone else. The GSW was not intentional. Our children and my husband's grandmother were home at the time, and we have been married for 15 years. So this is not something weird, other than the event itself.

amemmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    For me to even be searching for answers is quite difficult, I still have a strong sensory fear that I am trying to overcome- again was never afraid of guns before. However, I hope that in better understanding the gun and ammo will give me peace of mind to get back on the horse once again, and not prevent my children from using fire arms someday, under proper knowledge and understanding.

amemmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    Bullet.jpg This is what the end result was after ricocheting in my foot, exiting, hitting the laminate over concrete floor, and was lost from there. It was lodged somewhere in the underside of the sofa after, and fell out when we moved it 9 months later. From pictures of fired rounds for that ammo that I have found on the internet, this one looks different.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That bullet was definitely NOT fired from the gun you claim it was. I have absolutely no doubt about that.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Sure sorry this happened, & glad your husband keeps the guns away from you & your children.
    Just so much "wrong" in how things happened I really can't help with the gun question....

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Here's why I don't buy any of this story.

If the "top half" was in his other hand there would have been no firing pin and nothing to strip the round from the magazine so there is no way it could have fired.

The bullet you posted has grooves from the rifling of the barrel, not possible if the slide and barrel were missing from the gun.

Even if one part was on without the other there is no way for it to have happened like you say because it would either not fire, or if it somehow did manage to fire with a slide and no barrel, there would be no rifling marks on the bullet.

What I think happened:

There was an ND caused by stupidity. In an effort to make it look like a freak accident this story was manufactured. Nobody believes the story because it doesn't fit reality. You came here hoping someone could come up with some kind of plausible explanation for how it might happen so you could attempt to add some credibility to the made up story of the magic gun that fires with no slide or barrel.

Also, I'm fairly certain the bullet you posted is a regular FMJ, not a frangible. I've seen that kind of distortion many times in fired bullets taken from my berm and it is in no way unusual.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Here's why I don't buy any of this story.

If the "top half" was in his other hand there would have been no firing pin and nothing to strip the round from the magazine so there is no way it could have fired.

The bullet you posted has grooves from the rifling of the barrel, not possible if the slide and barrel were missing from the gun.

Even if one part was on without the other there is no way for it to have happened like you say because it would either not fire, or if it somehow did manage to fire with a slide and no barrel, there would be no rifling marks on the bullet.

What I think happened:

There was an ND caused by stupidity. In an effort to make it look like a freak accident this story was manufactured. Nobody believes the story because it doesn't fit reality. You came here hoping someone could come up with some kind of plausible explanation for how it might happen so you could attempt to add some credibility to the made up story of the magic gun that fires with no slide or barrel.

Also, I'm fairly certain the bullet you posted is a regular FMJ, not a frangible. I've seen that kind of distortion many times in fired bullets taken from my berm and it is in no way unusual.

+1

amemmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    It happened as I remembered it, not BS. There are 4 witnesses, and there were at least 8 officers on scene from local PD, Sherriff, and DPS, as well as 3 EMT's. When I was gurneyed out, my driveway and yard were full of their vehicles- so if THAT many people investigated it, and it was cleared. If you are not going to be helpful, please do not post. It is what it is, local PD and SO sent the gun and ammo to College Station for evaluation and forensic investigation, the whole thing was cleared from there after a 4 month timeframe. All I know is that the gun was in 2 pieces- again 4 other witnesses, sine I was the one shot and my memory is vague in places- however not there. I came on here for help, because I do not understand. Try going through the trauma for whatever reason of shooting your wife of 15 years- HS Sweetheart or being shot by your husband, HS Sweetheart with the children and elderly family member home- and see just how difficult it is to understand how things happened. We are god fearing, church going Christian family that does not believe in doing harm to others. My husband was a former VF at Cy-Fair before we moved away 12 years ago. Until my accident, he was a little league coach and BSA leader. So this has turned us all upside down, I just wanted answers and with the horrible things some of you people are saying, it is so unnecessary. Yes, I have been undergoing treatment for PTSD, and thought I was ready to see if there are any answers to unanswerable questions I had. To those that have given real insight- I thank you and to those horrible people, walk in my shoes first and see how what you say would make yourself feel! YES THAT GUN combined with THAT AMMO. The gun was in 2 pieces in 2 hands at the time. End of it- I AM DONE!

amemmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    I am no gun or ammo expert- why i was looking for help. Would you like an f*ing picture of the foot as well? Had bone grafts, not walked for first year, will never be able to tip toe, had to have achilles surgery due to atrophy. Bones are still broken and burned after 3 years- would pictures help you believe not made up- you are really rude. I do prefer my privacy so the police reports are mine, but i have pictures chronicling the journey!

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Once again sure sorry for your injury, really curious why your husband was cleaning a pistol with all those people at your house?
    Was there a party going on?
    Was drinking involved?

amemmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    Not cleaning, IRONIC part of it all. There were just him, myself, his grandmother and our children at the time of the accident, all residents of our home. The slew of first responders was due to his 9-1-1 call made while he was in a state of shock. We had everything short of SWAT respond, and the investigation was quite thorough as he was little league coach and scout leader to a few of the responders kids. He had just finished telling the children and his grandmother to treat ANY gun all or in part as a fully loaded/ assembled weapon and to not touch any part of it, and to get the nearest adult- especially if away from home, since his were kept locked in a safe when not in use. He had finished with the demonstration and the gun was in pieces on the coffee table. Our youngest was 7 at the time, and he wanted to make sure she especially knew not to touch a single piece of an assembled or disassembled firearm. The lesson had finished, all ok. He was in process of reassembling the gun and everyone was starting to leave the room when it happened. There was no party, no alcohol, it was 4:30 in the afternoon- and all the kids had just finished homework, it was a Friday so he was home early and opted for an impromptu safety lesson. I openly deemed him unfit to own the gun after the events that took place, so he does not even quibble about me not allowing them in the home anymore. However, he since became a pipeliner to pay my medical expenses and is gone for 9 months out of the year, so what he does away from home, I have no say over. As long as his firearms stay away from home, me and the children. He also took a gun safety course here close to home recently. He aced it, I am still scared of guns and his ownership of them. We are all trying to get past it, most people do not understand- they are fortunate. I do not regret being the one hit, better me than anyone else. I do regret the complacency in the situation- not something to have when handling a firearm. I am struggling with the inability to answer these baffling questions for myself and my family. We do not talk about this. All I ever wanted on here was insight that might shed light where no one else could. Too many questions, fears and doubts- just wanted clarity. I figured a forum would be a good place to start, however with so many nasty opinions and words, it is more hurtful than helpful. So I think I will just keep looking or continue with no answers.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Sorry, I thought I remembered you stating he was cleaning the gun, I went back & re-read your post where you stated he was assembling the gun.

ETA: This is a gun Forum, we are naturally critical, & not afraid to say it, lol, when we feel somebody is being blatantly unsafe in their gun handling.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    View attachment 24966 This is what the end result was after ricocheting in my foot, exiting, hitting the laminate over concrete floor, and was lost from there. It was lodged somewhere in the underside of the sofa after, and fell out when we moved it 9 months later. From pictures of fired rounds for that ammo that I have found on the internet, this one looks different.
    A frangible bullet could definitely make an "explosive" looking wound like you are describing, but that bullet pictured there is not frangible. The frangible bullet that went through your foot probably disintegrated into hundreds of pieces when it hit the floor under your foot. The bullet pictured has definitely fired through a barrel. That one came from some other event.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but your story sounds crazy. I wish I could help you, but the series of events you describe don't really make sense. I think something else happened that you are repressing or were just not aware of. You're asking for people's opinions and analysis, so don't be so defensive when you don't like what they say. I'm really glad your husband has taken some safety classes... Maybe if you did the same it would help you to become comfortable around firearms again?

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Again, speaking in a tone of respect, from a technical standpoint this simply doesn't make sense. Given the nature of this forum, you are going to have people jump all over safety and look at things from the technical side of it rather than emotional. The bullet pictured does look like a FMJ and have been fired through a barrel. Frangable does basically "explode" and leave a different type of wound. (Similar to an explosion rather than a hole.)

Having been through bad injuries and things of that nature, when it happens it is extremely difficult to understand what is happening on the edges of the event. Generally there is very strong focus on one aspect of said event, which causes the rest to become a haze. I can tell you every detail about cutting my thumb in half. I remember a sharp sensation, followed by a cold numbness and wet feeling. I can describe everything in vivid detail about what my thumb looked like, felt, and stitching it up on the kitchen table. I can't tell you exactly HOW it happned, I was opening a bottle of wine and everything went sideways. I don't remember what happened to the broken bottle, or where my girlfriend was at the time. She was SOMEWHERE around, but I couldn't tell you where.

That's how these things go... you remember bizarre bits and pieces generally what your mind thinks is relevant to surviving the event. If the trauma is severe enough (emotionally or physically) it is also possible to block events, or remember them incorrectly as emotionally some people may not be able to handle an extreme event.

That being said, if you want to move past this emotionally, the questions being asked aren't really relevant. It doesn't matter exactly how this happened, just that it did. There is really only one major question to ask. That being, were you shot intentionally. Since the answer for this is no, then the important thing is that it happened due to some sort of irresponsible behavior. We all make mistakes, and unfortunately some of them have awful consequences.

If you spend too much time focusing on the why, how, etc of the event, then you just dwell on the event and don't move past it. It is extremely difficult to comprehend why these events happen, and naturally we try to put the pieces in place to find an answer. To explain how something awful could happen to us. We look for an answer in hopes of making the situation be easy to comprehend, to find some meaning in it, or whatever else in order to cope. You mentioned struggling to find answers you don't have, and quite honestly you may never have them.

It truly is unfortunate this happened. Again, emotionally, the details of how it happened are not as relevant is that it happened and how it affected you.

When my infant son was murdered (and this is something I don't talk about at all) I spent a lot of time angry. Wanting some sort of revenge, answers to why it happened to me, I blamed myself, I blamed everyone else... I looked for some reason to WHY it happened. Ultimately, these answers just weren't there, and looking for them did nothing good for me emotionally. There was nothing I could have done in that situation, and no simple answers. You can't fight the universe, and you can't stop every bad thing from happening. Maybe what happened there caused you to be shot in the foot... maybe if you prevented it no one would have gotten shot. Maybe that incident stopped a worse incident from happening in the future. Grasping to control and understand a past situation is a dangerous path. It's much more helpful to try to learn something from it and move on. Now, more than most, you understand the importance of firearm safety. That can be a good thing, you can use it to help others.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Only thing I can think of that would make this make any kind of sense what so ever, since the physics don't line up on your story. Is that someone else somewhere else shot a gun that hit you in the foot leaving that bullet to be found while your husband was handling his disassembled gun. As has been stated before there is no way in hell that the gun he was holding fired that bullet in the picture if the gun was in the condition that you remember it to be in.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    View attachment 24966 This is what the end result was after ricocheting in my foot, exiting, hitting the laminate over concrete floor, and was lost from there. It was lodged somewhere in the underside of the sofa after, and fell out when we moved it 9 months later. From pictures of fired rounds for that ammo that I have found on the internet, this one looks different.

What's the diameter of that bullet?

Looks like it started life as a round nose, I don't recall any .40 cal bullets being round nosed, only truncated cone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I think the hubby is not telling the correct story, in other words covering his ass to make it look like something other than his fault.

No way in hell would that bullet get rifling marks if it had not gone through the barrel.

Top Bottom