• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amemmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    I am trying to educate myself regarding a type of ammo for a Daewoo DH40 THR. The ammunition in question is S&W .40 caliber frangible hollow point. My questions: 1) Are they truly good for home defense, 2) what is the nature of their 'destruction'? 3) When a person is shot with one, what is the intended outcome of the shot? I will PM anyone with need for more information. I am asking because I was shot with one in my own home 3 years ago, and forensics ruled the nature/behavior of the bullet as a freak occurrence. I am just trying to better understand.
    Capitol Armory ad

Kennydale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    I am sorry you were a victim of a shooting. I am not the scientific type (I am sure there are many here who can tell you of Gel Tests and ballistic info). What I understand is that there is NO MAGIC BULLET. I understand that modern ammunition charatcteristics between 9mm, .40S&W & .45ACP are not that disimilar. I myself use .40S&W (Hornady Critical Duty in 175grain) as a self defense carry ammo and at the range i prefer Winchester (Ball Ammo) White Box in 180 Grain. I have no scientific background on this. I know my firearm will shoot this ammo. How well depends on me. I believe it's all about shot placement. If this firearm is what you have to use then practice and train with it.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Frangible bullets are designed to break up quickly on impact. Typically less preset ration through interior walls and attackers. Typically seen to be inadequate for self defense due to their intended characteristics.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I love the DH40 pistols, they are underrated. Try the Lehigh Defense ME (Maximum Expansion) available through their website. Many different self defense rounds are satisfactory for your purpose. Frangible would not be my choice, but it is still an effective round. WWB for the range any day.
    If you remove your magazine from the pistol frequently, it is a good idea to remove a few rounds and change their position in the magazine. Not doing this tends to loosen and malform the top round possibly causing a failure to feed. If you leave it loaded, then no problem.

Last edited:

amemmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    My husband said that is why he uses them, so that if an intruder entered our home, he would not have to worry about it traveling into the kids' room on other side of wall. We had a very old house at the time.

amemmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    No angle, still just getting over my aversion to it, and looked for answers previously unable to be answered by experts involved. However, got great insight regarding the combination of the ammo and the firearm from this forum, the alternation of the rounds in the magazine was something I had not heard of before, I was raised with revolvers, and this was my first experience good or bad with anything magazine loaded. The only thing we were told is that the ammo was warped and that caused the accidental discharge- but they never could give a reason for it back then or since. Until my husband acquired that handgun- we had never heard of it before. He had it for 3 years with no problems, but it still had the same ammo in the magazine for those years. He would fire at the range a few shots here and there, but never from that particular magazine- it stayed at home, designated for home defense purpose only. Lesson learned.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    No angle, still just getting over my aversion to it, and looked for answers previously unable to be answered by experts involved. However, got great insight regarding the combination of the ammo and the firearm from this forum, the alternation of the rounds in the magazine was something I had not heard of before, I was raised with revolvers, and this was my first experience good or bad with anything magazine loaded. The only thing we were told is that the ammo was warped and that caused the accidental discharge- but they never could give a reason for it back then or since. Until my husband acquired that handgun- we had never heard of it before. He had it for 3 years with no problems, but it still had the same ammo in the magazine for those years. He would fire at the range a few shots here and there, but never from that particular magazine- it stayed at home, designated for home defense purpose only. Lesson learned.

Where was the gun at the time of the accidental discharge?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    If I understand correctly, you are afraid of the ammo because you have been shot with it.
    This seems perfectly rational to me.
    As far as I know, your husbands logic makes perfect sense as far as your children's safety is concerned.

jmho

ETA: Welcome to the Forum

ETA #2: I would be very worried if you say your husband is using the gun that mis-fired once already.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm gonna say "warped ammo" had nothing to do with it. Sounds more like a mechanical failure of the gun itself or more likely, an ND.

amemmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    Not sure what ND means. Location of the gun was in in the living room in 2 pieces when he inserted the magazine without a barrel and it discharged while we were sitting - finger nowhere near trigger. It fired from the magazine without a barrel and a second round would have discharged simultaneously, but got hung up- second round being stuck was found out by PD. He was assembling the gun at the time. Question as to how the accidental discharge occurred was my question in a nut shell, A) was ammo reason?, B) was gun reason? It was deemed a perfect storm of freak incidents with no other explanation given to us then or now. I am familiar with revolvers and hunting rifles only- know so very little about anything outside of that. Only ammo I am familiar with is the ammo my family used to load themselves for hunting.

amemmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    As protocol the gun was sent off to College Station, it was tested, cleared and released- however we unanimously agreed to not keep it, anyway.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Not sure what ND means. Location of the gun was in in the living room in 2 pieces when he inserted the magazine without a barrel and it discharged while we were sitting - finger nowhere near trigger. It fired from the magazine without a barrel and a second round would have discharged simultaneously, but got hung up- second round being stuck was found out by PD. He was assembling the gun at the time. Question as to how the accidental discharge occurred was my question in a nut shell, A) was ammo reason?, B) was gun reason? It was deemed a perfect storm of freak incidents with no other explanation given to us then or now. I am familiar with revolvers and hunting rifles only- know so very little about anything outside of that. Only ammo I am familiar with is the ammo my family used to load themselves for hunting.

Why on earth would ANYBODY insert a loaded magazine into a gun they were assembling?!?!

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

I'm just trying to understand, so I'm sorry I have so many questions. So, the slide was put on the frame without the barrel in it, correct?

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    The triple action is like a standard SA/DA. The third mode allows the hammer to be manually pushed forward to a safe position. When the trigger is pulled partially, the hammer returns to the SA cocked position, allowing a SA shot without the DA force required on the trigger. When it was released it received high marks from testing at SWAT magazine. The pistol is all metal, and normally very reliable. I am not sure how a round could have been fired since without the barrel, there nothing to prevent the round from falling out the hole in the front of the slide that the barrel would normally occupy. Being a hammer fired pistol, it would possible to bump the hammer and engage the firing pin.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Location of the gun was in in the living room in 2 pieces when he inserted the magazine without a barrel and it discharged while we were sitting - finger nowhere near trigger. It fired from the magazine without a barrel... Question as to how the accidental discharge occurred was my question in a nut shell, A) was ammo reason?, B) was gun reason?
    That all seems very odd... I vote C) operator error

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Without a barrel, you won't really have correct pressure for the round to "fire" normally. You just kind of have an explosion and shrapnel.

Regardless of ammo choice, you won't have the correct mechanical operation to put velocity and stability behind the discharge. I wouldn't try to look at ANY time of ammo choice when this happens, that's about the last thing on my mind.

Not to sound like a jerk, but the physics of this just don't make sense. The chamber holds the case correctly, which causes the pressure to be directed forward instead of exploding the case. When the actual bullet comes out of the case and the powder burns, the length of the barrel can allow for a correct powder burn and pressure applied to the bullet, causing it to move forward with the intended velocity. The rifling of the barrel adds stability. So you really need to match barrel length, rifling twist, powder burn rate, powder amount, case shape, and bullet weight to have it travel as 'advertised.'

With all due respect, I don't feel like there is the complete story here. It sounds like operator error, and this kind of error is not acceptable in my book... this kind of mistakes pretty much lead me to believe the operator is not responsible enough to own a firearm.

Top Bottom