Target Sports

Questions about blowback on a Beretta 84FS Cheetah...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trist007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2018
    Laredo, TX
    I bought this factory new from gunbroker. They are no longer in production. When I first took it out of the case I saw oil leaking along the slide and the frame which would be normal I would think. All oiled up from the factory. I shot a few rounds and noticed I'd get slapped in the face by powder about half the time. I had a gunsmith take a look and he said it looked fine. He cleaned up most of the oil. He said excess oil would cause powder spray back. I shot several rounds and it still shot back powder but not nearly as much, maybe a quarter of the time. I've since cleaned it, wiped off all the oil in the indentations on the slide. I shot about 130 rounds today and maybe 20 of those rounds I got spanked in the face with powder. So it is happening less and less. The area right behind the hammer is speckled with the black powder.

I would like to understand what is happening and how to minimize or remove this spray of powder completely. I have tried different brands and grain of 380 ammunition. No discernible effect.

I really like this gun. I have small hands and this gun feels just right in my hand. Working the same and slide release with one hand feels easy. I have to stretch my fingers on the 92fs. I'm really hoping there is a suitable remedy. If I can this will be my concealed carry primary weapon.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Very odd. My 85FS (nickel), or a previous 85 I owned never exhibited this "powder to the face". Perhaps it's the particular ammo you are shooting. Being a blow back action, naturally there will be some gases exiting the ejection port but they should be going to the side right along with the spent case.

trist007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2018
    Laredo, TX
    The powder seems to be going out the back through the sides of the hammer or something cause the area right behind the hammer is speckled with powder.

Last edited:

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    i have it’s twin (browning bda 380) and don’t get this powder blowing back...

maybe have the chamber looked into? worn chambers don’t seal as well as they should.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Then you have a firing pin issue.
    Check the tip of the firing pin. It should be rounded where it strikes the primer.
    If it is sharpened/pointed/etc. it wll need to be changed.
    It may be protruding too far from the breech face.
    It may need the firing pin spring replaced.

Top Bottom