Join TexasGunTalk

questions about different kinds of ammo online

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by MamaAbby, Sep 26, 2013.

1. MamaAbby

MamaAbby New Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Copperas Cove
    I was looking at buying bulk ammo online and some of says remanufactured. Does that mean factory reloads? Are they any less reliable than other ammo? Also it has different types of ammo, in different grains of the same type. Is the lower grain ammo easier to shoot? I appreciate any feedback on this, as the bulk ammo is quite a commitment.

2. mosin

mosin Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    bit of a newb myself but I can say there have been recent threads with regards to remanufactured ammo from freedom munitions and everyone seemed to have good things to say. Here is the newest thread about that particular vendor http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/general-firearms-ammo/51005-freedom-munitions.html

Someone else will have to point you in the direction of going light or heavy, but knowing the caliber, gun, intended use and possibly barrel twist rate will be of value to them for them to offer you the best advice.

3. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    "Remanufactured" means reloaded. Some is reloaded brass from military ranges, some is from unknown sources. Quality can vary a lot. There's nothing wrong with a reloaded cartridge - many of us reload our own - but be careful who you're ordering it from. There are posts on here from guys who have bought reloads at a gun show only to find out that they were pretty terrible.

"Grains" refers to the weight of the bullet. It does not affect how "easy" it is to shoot. A particular caliber will pretty much have the same recoil no matter what the bullet weight. Lighter bullets just go faster (and thus have a flatter trajectory). A .223, for example, might have bullet weights ranging from 40 grains to 75 grains. (In olden times, a grain was the weight of a grain of wheat. Now it's a defined weight; there are 7000 grains to a pound.) Some .223 rifles don't have the proper rate of twist in the rifling to stabilize heavier bullets, so it can make a big difference in what you need to order.

4. BRevell

BRevell <b>Forum Sponsor</b>

Jun 11, 2013
    N Austin
    What everyone else said. There are a lot of manufacturers who make remanufactured ammo. Many will even go to lengths to use once reloaded brass. It is no different from loading your own, except that someone else is doing it. So keep in mind that you'll want to check the reputation of every "remanufacturer". And be careful... I've known some to do a great job with pistol ammo and yet still manage to cause catastrophic failures with their rifle ammo. Also, every remanufacturer uses their own load specs so you may notice certain brands feel "hot" or "weak". Make sure you Google the manufacturer and look up as many reviews as you can. After all, you can shoot thousands of good rounds, but it only takes one bad cartridge to blow your gun up.

It helps to know what caliber/s you are looking for.

5. Peking

Peking New Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
  6. MamaAbby

MamaAbby New Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Copperas Cove
    I have a 357 revolver, but I usually shoot 38spcl. I am looking at getting a 9mm because my revolver kicks my ass, it's just too much gun for me. I'm going to get my CHL soon and I need something I can qualify with. My sister and were looking at ammoseek, and we saw 9mm 1000rds for approx. 250.00 and it was thru Georgia Arms. I haven't found any bad reviews. I have saved all of my brass so I can eventually learn to do my own reloads, but that will be at a much later date.

7. Glockster69

Glockster69 TGT Addict BANNED!!!

Jul 1, 2011
    .38 spl should not be that troublesome to handle. Are you an especially small person? Any particular issue(s) with your hands, arms, or shoulders?

8. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The 9 mm has more of a kick than the .38 special.

Until this last legislative session, if you took your CHL test with a pistol, that's all you could carry. They fixed that now. (Nobody could figure out a good reason why it was in the law to begin with.)

What's the barrel length on the .38? If it's short, that could explain the issue. A longer barreled revolver would help.

9 mm ammo has been pretty hard to get ahold of for awhile, so prices haven't come down as much as they should.

9. subseashooter

subseashooter Use Your Imagination..... Lifetime Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    This.

This too.

10. subseashooter

subseashooter Use Your Imagination..... Lifetime Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    This.

This too.