• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Hello all:
    In a discussion with a co worker about getting ready to take my CHL class, he stated that he wouldnt qualify for one. I thought, great, Im sitting next to a felon and I didnt know it. But no, he told me he was paying back child support and had student loan debt and was told that being in arrears in either of those would DQ him. Is that true? What really ARE the things that prevent approval? Traffic ticket warrants, overdue tickets etc... or is it just major crimes, drug posession and the like? Thanks for satisfying my curiosity....
    Gun Zone Deals

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    The student loan debt is not true. The child support one is.

Taken from the TxDPS website-

The Concealed Handgun law states an application for a CHL may be denied for individual finally determined to be delinquent in child support obligations.

machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    The student loan debt is not true. The child support one is.

Taken from the TxDPS website-

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Interesting. Does this hold true if you owe or aren't paying? What if you are making the payments on the back owed child support? I'll have to ask him his situation.... maybe too personal though. Thanks for the responses.

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    None of which has to do with a person's right to properly defend themselves or their family. One reason Texas is so far from being a leader in this field.

It has nothing to do with self defense or even 2A.....it's all about control and whose "rights" are priority.

machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    So he said he had owed from when he first got divorced, and had no idea and it compounded over the years, but he has been paying on it for 3 years now, and should be completely paid in the next few months. Would this keep him from qualifying for CHL now, or should he just wait til its all paid?

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Maybe you shouldn't hump out babies if you can't afford them? This includes ALL of the divorce war that the mommy can/will wage against you. This is not new.

machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    I dont see what that has to do with it. He said her lawyer filed for support while they were seperated and he didnt know. The state finally caught it after 3 years and heaped penalties i guess... none of my business. But what does that have to do with affording them or not and him getting his CHL?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If he were enrolled in and caught up in his child support payments he should be eligible. If not enrolled or caught up he will not.

I am hesitant to believe someone never wondered why CS was never brought up or why the state could not "catch up" to him.

machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    No idea. I think he was paying monthly but never paid for the three months before they were divorced, and after they caught it the penalties had added up over years. None of my business but I'll pass it on... thanks.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    ^^^ You're correct, comprehension often lacks around here.

So he said he had owed from when he first got divorced, and had no idea and it compounded over the years, but he has been paying on it for 3 years now, and should be completely paid in the next few months. Would this keep him from qualifying for CHL now, or should he just wait til its all paid?
    IANAL but, sounds like he's still in arears so since the CHL fee is non-refundable, I'd suggest he have it in writing from the court once he is current then apply for CHL.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have experience with this. I have dealt with MANY students who are in arrears, but are making payments. If a person is currently paying as agreed with the AGs office, it is not a disqualifier.

The Government Code does not state a person is eligible if they are not in the arrears, it states if they have not been finally determined to be delinquent on child support.

A person so determined will also have had his DL revoked.

I imagine the OPs friend is eligible.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Good point TI.

Maybe you shouldn't hump out babies if you can't afford them? This includes ALL of the divorce war that the mommy can/will wage against you. This is not new.

So, you enter a relationship planning for the worst. How's that working out for you?

/rhetorical

machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    I have experience with this. I have dealt with MANY students who are in arrears, but are making payments. If a person is currently paying as agreed with the AGs office, it is not a disqualifier.

The Government Code does not state a person is eligible if they are not in the arrears, it states if they have not been finally determined to be delinquent on child support.

A person so determined will also have had his DL revoked.

I imagine the OPs friend is eligible.
    Thank you very much, I'll pass it on.... maybe I'll just have him start an account on here, lol...

Top Bottom