• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • d'Armi Beretta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    So,being fairly new to the knowledge on guns, I'd like my first question to be on hollow point bullets for a 9mm Beretta. On one end, I'm told these bullets are great for on person defense and that their impact can be deadly as their known for mushrooming out. On the other end, I'm told the 115 grain cartridges are deadlier. I could use some input. Which one is better for defense? Wouldn't they be about the same depending on range and aim?
    Guns International

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Hollow point for self defense.
    Hornady is my choice.

Bullet weight is relevant to velocity.
    Heavy bullet, lower velocity, lighter bullet, higher velocity. Energy varies very little due to standard pressures the cartridge is rated for.

ECS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Victoria TX
    I don't really know the answer to this question.

I would simply advise that you don't obsess over it. Pick something and stick with it.

By 115gr, I guess you mean ball ammo? If the first round doesn't do it, just shoot again. And again. Or whatever it takes to shoot the assailant to the ground.

I've settled on the science of the Barnes full copper bullet.

For 9mm, I carry Double Tap 115gr Barnes TAC-XP.

For 10mm, it's Double Tap 125gr Barnes TAC-XP.

In a carbine, it's 55gr .223 Barnes VOR-TX, another full copper.

I take the lighter bullet, higher velocity route.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Well, I think maybe there's been some confusion at some point. Maybe I can help clear things up. With pistols, there's mainly two different types of ammo you're going to find on the shelf right now. Full Metal Jacket (FMJ), and Hollow Points (HP). Then, in the HP world, there's different styles with filled tips, and such. We'll keep it simple for now and just focus on your basic HP. Both of those are referring to the actual bullet that is pressed into the casing (or shell).

So, along with the two bullet types-now you have your different weights of the bullet. That's where your grains come in. When people are referring to the grain, they're referring to the weight of the bullet. It is an extremely small unit of measurement-437.5 grains equals 1 ounce, I believe. The reason they use such a small unit of measure is ballistics measurements need to be extremely precise. So, this chart below is one I pulled from the Federal Premium website. It's a comparison for three of their hollow points. Of the three, they share two different grains.

FederalPremium9mm_zps3bedd2ee.gif

So, in there, we have a 124 grain bullet and a 147 grain bullet. The 124 grain bullet is about your avg HP weight. The 147 grain bullet is a little heavier, so it's going to pack a little more punch to it. Some testing shows that the heavier bullet will travel a little bit further, but I don't think it's enough to be too worried about over penetration.

As a "Just because", here's a picture I have that lets you see how the top hollow points offered right now do with their spread upon impact.
    Bulletcomparisons_zpseebb4951.jpg

So, with that said-the 115 grain HP's might have a little more range to them...but I don't know if I would necessarily consider them "Deadlier". In my opinion, any round can be just as deadly as the next depending on shot placement.

Edit made to make a dang ol change

Last edited:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I'll tell you what I use in my 9 and post a link to a lot of facts you might find interesting below.

I like Black Hills 124 grn. JHP. and so does my Smith. My pistol likes it and it's comfortable to shoot for me as well as me being accurate with it. Some of the others available, either I don't like, or my pistol don't.

Good info here - The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    BTW, a "grain" became a weight and measure standard way the heck back when in Egypt.
    It's a weight equivalent to one grain of wheat.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I like the info that was posted here already.

Hornady is good and it's more affordable.
    Corbon, double tap, nosler, black hills is good if your ok spending the cash.

The best ammo to use would be whatever feeds best and is in your gun when you need it. Train with it. Shoot a lot. You'll get more proficient and you'll feel more confident. Take some classes on handgun self defense if you can. A chl is only a start.

With your own guns whatever you like is the best for you. Be safe and responsible and enjoy it.

davec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    South Texas
    LE often use Winchester Ranger 127gr. +P+ ammo, which is mighty hot.
    Texas DPS just switched from SIG .357 to S&W M&P in 9mm. Older officers who qualified with the SIG .357 who wish to retain that handgun and cartridge are free to do so...

MrBigIron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Man, I like #11 on the second chart above. That thing just looks nasty, don't it? :-)

Fred B.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Explore your options, but keep in mind that the best ammunition for self defense may be the one that doesn't give the prosecuting attorney any.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    So,being fairly new to the knowledge on guns, I'd like my first question to be on hollow point bullets for a 9mm Beretta. On one end, I'm told these bullets are great for on person defense and that their impact can be deadly as their known for mushrooming out. On the other end, I'm told the 115 grain cartridges are deadlier. I could use some input. Which one is better for defense? Wouldn't they be about the same depending on range and aim?

The general rule is a heavier bullet, and the bullet should be an HST or SXT. The Barnes XPB is also a good performer.

Do a search for "docGKR"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Ranger SXT and Federal HST... I wouldn't bother with anything else. If you shop around you can get HST for near FMJ prices by the 50.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    147 grain Winchester pdx1 is great stuff. Bonded ammo is the way to go, it works much better against barriers especially laminated glass. Stuff that isn't bonded has the jacket separate and the rounds lose a lot of lethality. The bonding prevents this separation.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    147 grain Winchester pdx1 is great stuff. Bonded ammo is the way to go, it works much better against barriers especially laminated glass. Stuff that isn't bonded has the jacket separate and the rounds lose a lot of lethality. The bonding prevents this separation.
    I didn't know what bonded means but I have witnessed this. Thanks for the info

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas

I don't know what you mean ny "bonded"....or maybe I do and don't realize it. Care to educate me a little?

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    I don't know what you mean ny "bonded"....or maybe I do and don't realize it. Care to educate me a little?

They attach the lead to the copper to prevent them from separating. I believe they do it by applying an electric charge then using a chemical to bond them together. Other HP construction is done without any attachment beyond the lead being inside of the copper. This process usually decreases expansion slightly, but that loss is traded for much better performance against barriers. Considering how much time we spend in and around vehicles and the reality that shot placement and penetration trumps caliber I think it is a very good choice.

I'll probably be doing some shooting in and around cars next Sunday, I'll try to remember to get some pictures.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    I didn't know what bonded means but I have witnessed this. Thanks for the info

Yeah it really gets people's attention when the copper doesn't even penetrate the windshield and ends up sitting on the windshield wipers. Once the weight of the jacket is gone they usually don't even make it all the way through the seats.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Thats pretty cool! Do you know if Critical Defense bullets are bonded? I would think so but I'm obviously not sure. Lol

Maybe you can use a Critical Duty round as one of your shots? I'll mail you one if needed.

Top Bottom