Questions about the Ruger Mini-14

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by 40Arpent, Sep 28, 2008.

1. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I own a Ruger Mini-14 (.223) that I bought new about 10-12 years ago, just because I liked the way it looked. I have probably fired less than 100 rounds through it, just plinking, but it sorta serves as a SHTF rifle for me. I had always heard a lot of Mini-14 bashing, mainly because of a lack of inherent accuracy. This never bothered me much, because I had no intention of trying to drive tacks with it.

Question #1: Can anyone tell me what other problems a Mini-14 of this vintage might exist?
    Question #2: What distinguishes a Mini-14 "Ranch" from a standard Mini-14?
    Question #3: From what I understand, Ruger at some point improved things with the Mini-14. When did this occur, and what changes did they make to make it a better rifle? From what I have been told, you can tell the new ones visually by the M-1 Carbine type front sight, as opposed to the large blade on the older ones.

Thanks,

Pete

2. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I thought one of the main differences was the twist rate in the barrel. I also believe that is how they improved the accuracy.

3. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The accurace in the standard mini14/ranch rifle has not been improved at all.

They have a model with a 16.5 inch barrel that is a consistant 2 inch gun,and the new heavy barreled model with that ridiculous harmonic dampener on it that is a consistant 1.5 inch gun.

I own a mini and for what it is, it is just fine. I will probably have the barrel cut to 16 and recrowned to get better accuracy out of it. Much cheaper than doing this:Custom Ruger Mini 14 30 Rifles Accuracy Systems Gunsmith

But I would like to get these guys to do one for me if I ever get the extra cash:tongueout:

4. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    The Ranch model has the built in scope mounts,I've owned both the new and older model 3-4 inch accuracy at 100 yards,but in truth they were never designed as target guns many options to improve accuracy, heavy barrels, etc, but not sure its worth the cost.?

5. Texas Patriot

Texas Patriot Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    I have 2 mini 14's. I did a few mods on the first one, the Ranch model and groups went from oh, about 12" or so to 1.5" @100 yds. Here's what I did:
    1. bedded the stock ($13)
    2. trigger job to reduce pull from ~8# to 3# ($45)
    3. installed pin on muzzle brake ($15)
    4. tried all kinds of different ammo

The other Mini, the regular model, I sent to Gundoc to cut the barrel to 15" and permanently install a flashider/muzzle brake (to bring it to legal length) and to recrown. I've got it in a Butler Creek Folding Stock with an EoTech on an Ultimak Scout rail and it is my favorite plinking, fun and shtf rifle now.

6. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks very much to all who responded, especially Texas Patriot. :happy0001: I just bought a new one (standard model in stainless with composite stock), so it'll be interesting to do a little side-by-side comparison at the range.