• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Anyone know anything about the law as it pertains to non-lethal defense (pepper spray, etc.) on univeristy campuses? Is this regulated by state law or by the campus? I have a daughter that will be starting college at UTSA in the fall and I was just curious if there was an easy place to find information on that. I have started looking on their web page, but haven't found anything yet.....I was looking at the Guardian system or similar....

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If the campus is privately owned then it's regulated by the campus. You are always more than welcome to leave it in your vehicle, for usage later.

The campus regardless, is subject to state law even as private property.

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Thanks, just trying to think of ways to better prepare her to defend herself....kinda scary when your little one goes away with noone there to protect them...guess I'll look at some tactical pens and some training too..,,,

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Alright, this tactical pen thing has intrigued me. Are they just pens that are all metal and used to stab/poke someone? Sorry for the sideline, but I've never heard of them before.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, just trying to think of ways to better prepare her to defend herself....kinda scary when your little one goes away with noone there to protect them...guess I'll look at some tactical pens and some training too..,,,

A note on the training. My cousin took a self-defense course and learned a simple hip throw when someone grabs you from the rear. While this worked on a 150 lb. cousin of mine, she couldn't even get me off the ground and I weighed around 250 lbs. at the time, and that's with me acting like a ragdoll ... ie. not using my strength to prevent her from throwing me. Moral of the story is she was very confident in her ability until she learned that physics is still physics. Granted it was better for her to feel confident, but she could very easily have endangered herself by trying to counter an attack rather than just getting lose and running.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Most of the time pepper spray is legal to carry anywhere. Unless it is the mobadass riot control stuff the police use. As a security guard that has worked sorority houses before, I'd say Cary it until someone says other wise. Just don't take it out and play with it or put it under your friends door handle, ac vents, steering wheel or gear shifter. (you know who are) And I think any campus will be fine with it. I doubt any college private or state will have any problems what so ever tho.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Penal Code

Go down to Chapter 46: Weapons

I graduated UTSA in '04 and lived at the University Oaks. Security is...well security. They like to write tons of parking violations. I've watched the news in recent years and the incidents have intensified in regards to campus crime. When I was there the biggest problems were car break-ins and someone hitting your car in the parking lot and not leaving a note. Now there are aggravated crimes.

Definitely look for a knife/poker/anything that can be used as a weapon in the least. I always carried a folder on me. At the time I was ignorant of the laws (still am in regards to knives on campus) but it only seemed common sense and really in Texas, who doesn't have a pocket knife? Not saying that makes it ok rather that was my thinking then. I'd be danged if I get mugged or assaulted on campus because I couldn't get to the little emergency pole.

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    A note on the training. My cousin took a self-defense course and learned a simple hip throw when someone grabs you from the rear. While this worked on a 150 lb. cousin of mine, she couldn't even get me off the ground and I weighed around 250 lbs. at the time, and that's with me acting like a ragdoll ... ie. not using my strength to prevent her from throwing me. Moral of the story is she was very confident in her ability until she learned that physics is still physics. Granted it was better for her to feel confident, but she could very easily have endangered herself by trying to counter an attack rather than just getting lose and running.

Just to elaborate on this a bit - you hit the nail on the head when you said physics is still physics. I'm a martial arts instructor, and I'll be the first to tell you that there are viable self-defense forms for women out there, and a hip throw can be a great piece of that training. However, going to a course is not going to do a damn thing for you. I've trained martial arts for over a decade, and I always feel like I am still learning.

The scenario you describe happens all the time. Someone comes in and starts taking classes, then comes in one day after they've been training for a month or so and asks why they couldn't perform whatever technique, and the answer is exactly what you said - physics is still physics. A 125 lb. woman can hip throw a 225 lb. man (I've been the man in that scenario), but only through proper use of physics. And a single class or short course is not going to cut it. Martial arts training is no different from weapons training. When TSHTF, you're going to do what you've really trained to do. You're going to get tunnel vision, accelerated heartrate, and clumsy fingers. The only thing you're going to be able to do reliably is what you've trained over and over and over. I have yet to see a self-defense course address that, much less satisfy the requirement. We tell our students when they've done a technique 10000 times, they can start relying on it. It may be slightly exaggerated, but it gets the point across.

Top Bottom