• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I lock my "home defense guns in the safe before I leave in the morning and take them out when I get home. My gun safe is in my bedroom and it only takes a minute to put them away or take them out.
    DK Firearms

tex45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    This may sound silly, but I actually put my nightstand gun in the pocket of my dark terry cloth robe. I have been waken several times by bumps in the night and when I get out of bed the robe, that hangs from the huge bedbost at the head of the bed is what I slip into and there is no looking for the gun. If I would not have time to put the robe on, I sleep on my side facing th robe and slight movement will put the gun into my hand. No fear of kiddos getting into it as we are empty nesters. When the grandbabies start arriving I woll probably rethink this strategy.

Carry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    We have 1 schnauzer in the house, and 3 outside. These are one of the best intrusion detection systems in the world. They will bark if a mouse farts 2 houses down. If someone so much as rattled a window or bumped an exterior door, they go off. So I'm not worried about someone getting to my gun in the middle of the night. But when we leave the house, the nightstand guns are on us.

I miss my schnauzer............. Indeed, he was a great alarm!

jlangton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    SE Texas
    Here's my siuation: There's only a handgun in my nightstand while I'm sleeping, because it's my carry gun. Carry it all day, put it in the nightstand at bedtime and put it back on in the morning. I can't carry all the time (my office), so I take it from the nightstand to the safe then. Don't leave a gun in the sightstand if you're not within reach of it.

Just my $0.02
    Mostly the same here.
    JL

grumpybutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Spring
    I love to hear safes- lock boxes- under mattress- secret compartments, if and when you ever need it you can't be fumbling around in the middle of the night in a excited state of mind for your piece under locked up (and in a lot of cases not even loaded and ready) just put it ON top of the table and go to bed !!

tomhall75

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Fort Worth
    I have an 18 month old and have the same concerns. I bought a GunVault with the 4 finger code, big enough for my Kimber UC2 with 2 clips and a box of ammo. I have a CHL and carry during the day, when I come home in the evenings it goes in the safe but stays with us in the living room. At night the safe goes into the closed nightstand drawer (just incase the little guy comes in, I would hear him open it) but with the face open for quick access.

Before I got married, I came home late on a Saturday with a couple of buddies (after a few beers) and walked up to 3 guys coming out the front door with some of my stuff. This was what made me a believer in carrying. I stupidly attacked one of them not thinking about weapons when at least 10 more came out from in and around the house. One of my buddies yelled gun, I jumped off of the guy and ran inside to get a bolt action .22, I had in a closet and it wasn't where it was supposed to be, it was the gun my buddy saw. Thank God my neighbor had seen them enter the house earlier and called the police, cause right after I went inside a cop pulled up and those SOB's scattered. We were so lucky. Very lucky.

I'm 6ft 300lbs, and in the minute or so that I had him down, I at least hurt one of em pretty damn bad.

Lesson learned. Carry a weapon, don't drink, and don't leave unsecured weapons in your house.

Carry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Psyche!

Until we get some kind of safe & since I cannot carry at work, I move my XD9 from the nightstand to another location. I am not crazy about leaving it in the car while parked at work even though the parking lot is monitored. I was just thinking to get an extra $6.79 zippered handgun case at Academy & leaving the case open in the nightstand to make a would-be burglar think the handgun was with me & not still in the house. Maybe that would keep them from continuing to look & potentially finding it.

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    I keep them locked in the safe during the day while I am away, and then when I am at home, they are nearby. As for the handgun, when I'm sleeping, it's in a holster that I've attached to the bed frame between the mattress and headboard. So it's easily accessible while I'm in bed, but the average burglar wouldn't know it's there.

I no longer have kids in the house, either.

midnightrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    My routine
    • Come home, take the 1911 out of the safe, place it in condition 1, put it in the night stand.
    • Morning when ready to leave, take 1911 out of night stand, place it in condition 3, place it in the safe.
    Repeat as necessary

awmp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    On your hip or in a small quick to open gun safe anchored to the bed so it is not quick to walk off.

50calRay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    Glock 27 inside a personal safe that takes less than minute to open. I personlay only keep ammo with my home defense firearms. The rest is stored away from their firearms.

Here is my bed side set up. I'm more worried about kids getting a hold of the firearm than it being stolen. That is why it's not bolted down to anything. It just sits inside my dresser out of sight.​

DSC00141.jpg

Boldkharma

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Plano
    I keep my daily pistol on the nightstand at night. I think the important thing, at least in my family, is proper education of children. All my kids were raised with firearms in the house. All of them were taught from a very young age to respect firearms. This does not mean that I am careless in any way, I always have them out of reach except at night when sleeping. I do feel a little better with a condition 1 1911 then other pistols just due to the manual safety and grip safety. YMMV

50calRay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    I keep my daily pistol on the nightstand at night. I think the important thing, at least in my family, is proper education of children. All my kids were raised with firearms in the house. All of them were taught from a very young age to respect firearms. This does not mean that I am careless in any way, I always have them out of reach except at night when sleeping. I do feel a little better with a condition 1 1911 then other pistols just due to the manual safety and grip safety. YMMV

Yes sir, I've been working with our son since he was 3 yrs old. We also started him in swim lessons when he was like 1yrs old. The dude is a fish for sure. People ask us all the time why we have a fence around the pool if our son is such a great swimmer...our replys is, that doesn't mean his friends know how to swim.

Texbow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    I've thought about attaching an old holster behind the night-stand. Out of sight but easy to get to. You could do the same thing behind a headboard.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    That is close to what I did.

I bought a single pistol safe from Academy. It opens with a key, or the 4 buttons on it. I mounted it to the back side of the nightstand. I left enough room behind it so it opens easily, but there is no room to go behind it if it is open. I can reach over and hit the buttons, the lid springs open and I can reach for it. The lid will act like a ramp for my hand if I am coming out of deep sleep. You can barely see it if your head is on the pillow. By it being a little farther out from the wall, it is a natural motion for me to roll towards it, if need be.

If you wanted to be really trick, you could shorten the drawers in a nightstand and flush mount the safe into the back. The only thing that you may want to leave sticking out is the buttons. I think that would be the ultimate in stealth.

rick458

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    La Porte
    I have a Gun Vault at my headboard that the SD pistol stays in when it is not on my Hip or in the safe (until sleep time when it comes out and is laying on top of the Gun Vault)

Saxet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Pasadena, TX
    has no kids and has my pistol ready to shoot at all times.....it is put away where in case anyone who breaks in will not find it without a long search but I can retrieve in alot less time than it takes to open a gun safe.

i also keep a spare mag and small flashlight there with it so I can be prepared. thank goodness for being inventive in hiding spots.

I always knew where my dad kept his pistol....I did not even dare go to that location without telling him first since I knew it was a whoppin if caught. it was respect of him rules and consequences that made not do anything against his will. in his favor thopugh if I ever wanted to look at it he would no mind going and getting so I would not let my youthful inquisitiveness get the best of me.

Dog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Central TX
    Is good to see the people on this forum are talking about diligence and the safety of children regarding this issue. Does my heart good.
    Not what the news media would have us believe. The Plaxico dumbass Burress incident is NOT helping our cause.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom