• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    To the OP. I have an older, Wingmaster 870 I bought used and in rough shape many years ago. When I got it, it had a Mossberg 18.25", cylinder bore barrel. The original barrel was probably lost in a manner similar to that mentioned in a previous response.
    Sometime later, I picked up a 3-in chambered full length, parkerized vent rib, Remington barrel. It ain't pretty, but it runs slicker than owl poop with either barrel. I'm sure your experience would mirror mine.
    Guns International

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    And why should I look it up. You made the statement. I already did my own informal testing that from my observations and experience showed me the opposite was true.

If you want me to give it consideration, please link the article so we all can read it and draw our own conclusions.

The 5.56 tumbles pretty quick. They all penetrate many walls, with the exception of birdshot. Birdshot is so light, it slows down very quickly. Penetration is minimal except at contact distances.

I’ve seen chest xrays of people shot and only one to two pellets made it past the first inch of skin, granted this was years later.

I found the conclusion of the first article the guy went with .22lr for HD interesting. The other was equates everything with energy. Energy doesn’t stop people (at least until we get to phasers). I’m not saying a shotgun isn’t effective or lethal.

JoeN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2015
    I may have exaggerated my lack of shotgun prowess just a little. I can shoot a shotgun I have just had little experience with them. My one experience dove hunting was less than successful. If any doves died, they died laughing at me. Let’s just say I’m more comfortable with a rifle.

I was asked about the choke of the present shotgun. It is a full choke and I think it has a 26” barrel. Not ideal for moving around the house. The 870 has no sentimental value, not like the L. C. Smith.

It never occurred to me that the barrel might get misplaced. I would think it should be kept with the other firearms just like it was a complete gun.

I have seen comparisons of various calibers concerning over penetration and though I do have an AR15, I think I prefer buckshot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Not so much a question of what works. They both will.
    The over riding question is more, what works best for you. That is all that really matters.
    IF you can find and buy one, the 18 1/4" barrel would probably be the easiest to handle in the house. Although pattern expansion at short range isn't much, the sort barrel and a cylinder bore or choke, without rifling, will give you maximum chance of a hit. I seriously doubt the bad guy will care if you shoot them with a rifle or shotgun or if it has the original barrel.
    A hit is going to hurt either way.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

The 5.56 tumbles pretty quick. They all penetrate many walls, with the exception of birdshot. Birdshot is so light, it slows down very quickly. Penetration is minimal except at contact distances.

I’ve seen chest xrays of people shot and only one to two pellets made it past the first inch of skin, granted this was years later.

I found the conclusion of the first article the guy went with .22lr for HD interesting. The other was equates everything with energy. Energy doesn’t stop people (at least until we get to phasers). I’m not saying a shotgun isn’t effective or lethal.

First of all, that is an apple to orange comparison. At what point was a slug, or birdshot ever mentioned by me, or anyone? They weren't mentioned.

Yes, the 5.56 tumbled after hitting a stationary object, the interior wall. Buckshot is going to lose muzzle energy way faster over a distance than most 5.56 rounds.

EVEN IF, I agreed with your assertion that buckshot did penetrate interior wall much further than the 5.56 rounds, you must be assuming that "over-penetration" is a concern for me. It's not.

Here's the deal, for my specific and individual needs for a self defense firearm within MY home, after my informal testing, I determined that a 12 ga. loaded with buckshot was the best option for what I might need it for. MY home, and specific needs may bot be entirely optimum for other people. That is something they need to decide on and take into consideration.

I don't and never try to make assumptions about such things. I like to do my own research and testing if possible, to make sure what I choose to use for such things are the best options I have available. I urge others, if possible to do the same. So my decisions for my choices were not make on the fly or making assumptions from what other people have said. These are based upon my observations and experiences.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    if you can find a Maverick 88 with 18" barrel and #4 buck you have a very inexpensive home defense gun. If you can find one...

I totally agree. IF you can find one! The Maverick 88 is one of those under-rated great shotguns, manufactured in Eagle Pass Texas by a company owned by Mossberg. I have the ones I have, and still own to be very capable shotguns and reasonably priced, or at least they use to be!

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    For an HD shotgun, get a cylinder bore, and get federal flite control, or the hornady version 00 buck, and pattern your gun

People will say things like birdshot is good for HD, and while it can certainly kill a person, it can not be counted on to it consistently.

Might be a good idea to just get a new shotgun, old remingtons are great, but i wouldn't want the police to take a gun that got passed down to me, should it get used

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    How do you aim without a rear sight though?

You sight down the top rib on the barrel using the bead at the end to predict your point of impact. Aiming a shotgun isn't that difficult, it's just a bit different and does not require a rear sight but does require practice. Otherwise skeet shooting would be impossible.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    Didn’t see it mentioned yet. If you’re looking for a barrel to fit a wingmaster, avoid any 870 express barrels (they don’t have the detent / spring of the original design).

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    That’s what I thought but wanted to make sure. I haven’t seen any 2 3/4” barrels for sale so are they all interchangeable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes. Any modern barrel you get will probably be for 2.75 or 3" ammo, but just use 2.75" and you will be fine. Also, most 18.5" barrels will be cylinder bore.

Top Bottom