• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Get all sorts of conflicting info from just reading on the net or hearing about a friend of a friends uncles cousins brothers next door neighbors experience. So I thought I'd ask here.

Talk to me about ricochet in comparison to a 22lr. Next, bolt or lever? Experiences you've had with each? I won't be entering any competitions or shooting from a bench, so what's your thoughts? Finally, best sources for ammo if things ever return to almost normal again in those terms?
    DK Firearms

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I would imagine the 17HMR would be less prone to ricochet compare to a .22 lr. The speed of the round and the nature of the fast expanding bullet I think would blow them apart on contact with anything.

To really wring out the .17 you have to go with a bolt gun. I don't believe a lever gun would let the round shine. That is really up to the owner's preference though.

Usually ammo is readily available.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    good source of info here : RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!

from what I've "read" the .17HRM round is less prone to ricochet due to it's small size and it's high speed - rather causing bullet to disintegrate when hitting "something"

seems that if NOT bench shooting a lever action would be a better choice (rather than taking the trigger hand away from the trigger mechanism to operate a bolt..uneducated guess)

I just ordered and received 500 rounds off the internet for a couple of dollars less per 50 rds than I can get it for at WMT or Academy - seems like (to me) it's more available at WMT/Academy than is .22

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    A lever gun definitely has a speed advantage over a bolt gun (generally). The advantage of the .17s over the .22s is their accuracy though. They shine off a bench and a lever gun usually doesn't show off there.

gdouthit

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    BCS
    I have a henry .17 varmint express. Its great for inside 50 yards. I put a nice scope on it one day and tried to put it on paper at 100 and it was grouping at around 3.5-4 inches with 3-4 types of ammo. My buddy bolt gun in 17hmr (i think it is a ruger 77/17) and he can put 10 shots in a dime at 100 yards on a good day. on a windy day it opens up to about an inch.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

from what I've "read" the .17HRM round is less prone to ricochet due to it's small size and it's high speed - rather causing bullet to disintegrate when hitting "something"

I've read a lot too. I've also read where some say it does bounce as good as a 22. That's why I figured I'd ask here hoping someone has one and can comment.

What's your intended use?

I've got a steel plate hanging in behind the pond damn that's really pissing me off. I've also got one of those little target things where the arm swings up after you hit it (at least with a 22) that has been known to help pass the time on occasion.

That and the occasional skunk, possum, bobcat once, and whatever else wanders to a place it's not welcome.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The ricochete depends on what it hits. If it hits solid metal, its going to break apart. THey are TINY little bullets.

I have a Savage 93 bolt gun. It is one of the most accurate guns I have ever owed, straight out of the box I like the bolt, and would not be afraid to shoot that gun out to 200 yds. I have heard you can shoot them further, but mine is crazy accurate and flat out to 100. I think I could make it that accuarate out to 200 with some practice. My youngest shot a die sized group at 100 yds when she was 13 with this gun. Its one of my favorite guns.

I see ammo all over for the 17. Walmart, Cabelas, Academy.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I'm not too worried about it bouncing off the steel. I'm more worried about bouncing off the ground for other things that may get shot at.

And what's it's limit for game size? How well does it handle a coyote?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've read a lot too. I've also read where some say it does bounce as good as a 22. That's why I figured I'd ask here hoping someone has one and can comment.

I've got a steel plate hanging in behind the pond damn that's really pissing me off. I've also got one of those little target things where the arm swings up after you hit it (at least with a 22) that has been known to help pass the time on occasion.

That and the occasional skunk, possum, bobcat once, and whatever else wanders to a place it's not welcome.

If you like lever guns and the accuracy is good enough to hit the intended target I would say go lever gun.

Target shooting is all about tiny groups so a nice bolt action wins hands down.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Target shooting is all about tiny groups so a nice bolt action wins hands down.

Depends on the size of the target. :)

I used to be able to take a bolt gun out to the 800 - 900 meter range. Now I can't even see that far. Besides, I'm easily entertained, so bouncing a round off a steel plate is probably good enough. I keep wanting to get a bolt, but a big part of me keeps leaning toward the lever just for the fun of it.

Top Bottom