• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I inherited my grandfather’s Browning Sweet 16. I have a couple questions.

Any idea on when it was made. I the websites haven’t been real clear with the serial number i have.
    Any reason I shouldn’t shoot it? (Granted I haven’t found any 16 gauge ammo just yet so it is kinda moot at this point)
    The stock looks like the plastic is breaking down. Just take it to a gun shop for them to fix it?

Thanks. My grandfather had some cool stuff, and I think this was the most unique of them.
    Target Sports

Attachments

• ED2014AC-C335-4A36-98A3-1A25F7E85B3B.jpeg
      ED2014AC-C335-4A36-98A3-1A25F7E85B3B.jpeg
      1.9 MB · Views: 253
    • 4F21E64D-97A7-4AB8-9A16-89AF9F87C9BB.jpeg
      4F21E64D-97A7-4AB8-9A16-89AF9F87C9BB.jpeg
      1.9 MB · Views: 254
    • DCD0E67D-574B-43ED-94CC-E907B222B88C.jpeg
      DCD0E67D-574B-43ED-94CC-E907B222B88C.jpeg
      2.1 MB · Views: 251

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Pay close attention to the recoil spring and friction rings. Many cracks in the forearm and buttstock wrist come from un-managed recoil.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Nice looking gun.

Can't help with the born on date.

Yes, the gun can be fired. From your pictures it looks to ne in excellent condition.

The recoil pad should be replaced.
    Yours is typical of being stored for many years upright on its buttstock.
    Have a pro do it.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    That is gorgeous. I also inherited my grandfather's shotgun. It was run hard and put up wet. I got it functional again and hunt with it occasionally. It will never be pretty again though.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Nice looking gun.

Can't help with the born on date.

Yes, the gun can be fired. From your pictures it looks to ne in excellent condition.

The recoil pad should be replaced.
    Yours is typical of being stored for many years upright on its buttstock.
    Have a pro do it.

This^^^^^^^^^^

Your Grandfather had good taste.........

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    If you are going to shoot it make sure you clean it well. the relube it. I inherited one from my Father and it would not auto- load because the recoil spring and slide was all gummed up. I cleaned it and re-lubed it worked good as new

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I inherited my grandfather’s Browning Sweet 16. I have a couple questions.

Any idea on when it was made. I the websites haven’t been real clear with the serial number i have.
    Any reason I shouldn’t shoot it? (Granted I haven’t found any 16 gauge ammo just yet so it is kinda moot at this point)
    The stock looks like the plastic is breaking down. Just take it to a gun shop for them to fix it?

Thanks. My grandfather had some cool stuff, and I think this was the most unique of them.

There were numerous manufacturers of this design. Many of the pre-War (WWII) FN Auto-5's in 16GA had 2-9/16" chambers and won't take 2-3/4" shells. Be careful.

Caution, older worn Auto5's may develop the very dangerous trait of FIRING with no trigger pressure and "SAFETY" ENGAGED. I learned this in a dangerous way.

Other than above, there is no reason it can't be used with regular modern shells.

leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There were numerous manufacturers of this design. Many of the pre-War (WWII) FN Auto-5's in 16GA had 2-9/16" chambers and won't take 2-3/4" shells. Be careful.

Caution, older worn Auto5's may develop the very dangerous trait of FIRING with no trigger pressure and "SAFETY" ENGAGED. I learned this in a dangerous way.

Other than above, there is no reason it can't be used with regular modern shells.

leVieux

The gun pictured has a crossbolt safety built into the trigger guard and is likely of US manufacutre. It should have the chanbering engraved into the barrel. It probably says 16GA 2-3/4"; if so it should be safe to shoot. I'd still have a gunsmith check it over first. Those were excellent guns; I had several & Dad had one. I didn't see the detail pics before making my first comments. leVieux

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    And the financial means to support his taste!

My grandparents were extremely frugal. My grandfather worked at a refinery, and fished and trapped during the parts of the year he was laid off, till he had a fairly major heart attack in his mid 40’s and was no longer able to work. This was his prized firearm. He had probably two dozen others, firearms. A few nice ones, but most were 22lr he got a deal on. He went from fur hunting, to pheasant hunting (coon dogs to bird dogs). His other major collection was Aladdin lamps.

His major occupation for most of his life was fishing, metal detecting, . . . . .and being hardhead.

Top Bottom