• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • P380

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Hello everyone. I am thinking about selling one of my handguns. I have never sold to an individual, only trade in at local shops. I am tired of getting raped on my trade in, so I am looking for suggestions, guidance,help.... My questions pertain to the actual transfer. I understand that I can sell it to another individual with little hassle and paperwork, BUT I am very leery in doing so. Can the local shops do the transfer to take the burden off my shoulders? I am assuming this would be like an FFL transfer and they would charge their $15-40 fee. Does this sound correct?

I greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanx
    Texas SOT

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    You are correct.

You are not required to keep any paperwork at all when selling a firearm to another Texan (except the greenbacks, of course). Some folks keep a bill of sale. Some folks don't.

You can use the services of an FFL all you like, they'll most likely charge the buyer the transfer fee.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    You can use a FFL to be sure. At the very least I always use a bill of sale and look at the Tx DL. If someone gives you any grief for wanting to see the DL, walk away.

P380

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I will surely request an FFL transfer, but will try to reflect in price.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    As already said, you can sell to an individual with nothing but a swap of gun and money. However, if you feel more comfortable, let a FFL do the transfer. That way you no longer have the burden of making sure you don't knowingly sell to someone that's prohibited to buy or possess a handgun. However again, your burden is simply to not knowingly sell to someone prohibited. There's no obligation on your part except to know that you are not aware of any reason they can't buy it. :D That's were selling to someone with a CHL is easier. Even and FFL doesn't have to do the NCIS check.

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    It has been awhile since I sold a firearm to anyone, I have reached that stage where I want them all!

That being said, I normally sold to someone I knew, and got their information as a just in case.

There is no requirement to keep this information but it could be helpful should the need arise.

breacan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Spring TX
    Bill of sale

Here is a bill of sale that can be used for a firearms sale in the state of Texas. I suppose it would work in other states if the state was edited.

Here it is in MS Word:

Attachments

• bill.jpg
      bill.jpg
      16.1 KB · Views: 227

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Here is a bill of sale that can be used for a firearms sale in the state of Texas. I suppose it would work in other states if the state was edited.

Here it is in MS Word:

Might want to reword that since there is no bill of sale that the State of Texas requires or accepts. The State doesn't care if a BIS is used.

Seeing some of the posts here, it's important to point out that the BOS linked is just something someone came up with to use and it has no support or requirement of the state. :p Not that someone would come along and take that as the official BOS for gun sales in Texas or anything.....ok, ya, some people would do that.

A BOS is for your own satisfaction and any standard BOS can be modifed to fit different items.

(just had to add the disclaimer before someone took that and started posting it as a State Required/Sanctioned document)

breacan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Spring TX
    Did not mean to imply that this was an official BOS for Texas. I only said it Could be used, if you needed a BOS for your own satisfaction or in my case to keep with my Bound Book for ATF inspection. I do not want any excuse for the Feds to come back on me.
    Before you ask I do not have to file a 4473 with a C&R license.

Just trying to be helpful, which from what I'm seeing on this forum is a no-no

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Just trying to be helpful, which from what I'm seeing on this forum is a no-no

I hope my reply didn't make you think that. It was helpful. But some people, if you read some of the threads you see what I mean, take everything they can get and make it "official" because they read it on the internet. Legal advice, process etc. you name it.

Besides, it may not have come through like I thought it would, but my reply was kinda poking at those types with a little harmless humor. I think I missed on that part.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    Recently sold two handguns thru the TGT classifieds ... we met, traded guns for money ... I had made up two identical bills of sale listing gun serial number, my name and name of buyer, along with date and a "no warranty" line ... we were both happy ... and it's none of the govt's business

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Recently sold two handguns thru the TGT classifieds ... we met, traded guns for money ... I had made up two identical bills of sale listing gun serial number, my name and name of buyer, along with date and a "no warranty" line ... we were both happy ... and it's none of the govt's business

Well that's all fine and good if you like things neat and simple.

photofreeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009

Here it is in MS Word:

Thanks. I never thought it was official or required, but it is worded well.

Top Bottom