Patriot Mobile

Quick-Disconnect Keychain in Black: Anyone?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Already found that. It's a piece of crap plastic. The one review says it pulls apart on its own.

I couldn't find the material it was made of, and for only one review, I don't trust that one review.

Yeah, me and 60 of my closest friends. Thanks for trying though.

Like I said, IF you want it that bad ... lol

I might go this route if I have to. Worst case though, is not the re-painting. Worst case it that the paint gums up the keychain and renders it unusable.

Good news is that the brass ones are only a couple bucks at Home Depot.

What about the dura/cera kote?

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I don't know what that is. I see people do that to their guns on here. And that jcrntx does the service.

I've never seen it in real life. Could that be an option?

From my understanding, it's a very thin but durable "paint". Not sure if it's epoxy, etc, or what specifically though. I just understand that it's tough and lasts on guns, so I'd think a key chain would be a piece of cake, assuming it can be done right.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Just curious, why would it have to be black? Mine stays in my pocket.

Purely aesthetics. Just because I want it black. That's the honest answer.

If pressed hard for a logical reason, the S-clip goes on the belt loop above my right rear pocket. The keys, light, and tool go in said pocket, so hidden and quiet. This keychain sticks out though, and my shirt is always tucked in, so it's more noticeable when silver and shiny. I'd like it to be more subtle.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Paint it when it's closed and if it's like mine, it would only show silver when you disconnected it.

I lightly sanded and painted the keychain last night and let it dry for 8 hours. I have confirmed three things:

(1) The black spray paint wears off.
    (2) I now have black paint on a pair of my khakis.
    (3) I will not be following future recommendations from Charlie (sorry bud).

Back to square one!

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I know you tried spray painting it but I would think powdercoating might work. Its more of a thermoplastic process that allows the plastic to bond with the metal and should be more durable. It also won't leave paint on your clothing if it does wear. I used to get bike parts powdercoated all the time and its a pretty good finish. Another cheaper option you could try would be Plasti-dip. You can buy an aerosol can or liquid can at most home improvement stores for around $5. Its basically a plastic coating but I'm not sure it would hold up well.

I can't seem to find anyone around that sells them in black which is odd to me...really surprised that someone hasn't produced them. Maybe you could have a manufacturer do a run of a couple hundred and sell the rest? I find it hard to believe that those wouldn't sell.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    How about something like this?

Nylon Detachable Belt Key Holder

I used to have a nylon multiring keychain with a quick disconnect and it cost about $5. I'm sure there is a cheaper one out there somewhere.

Edit: Here is another one. Much cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-1...2723499&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=maxgear+keyring

http://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-Keyper-Retention-System-Black/dp/B001DZO5TS/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

Consider paracord with a nylon quick disconnect? I know I'm straying outside your box, but I didn't want to be redundant.

http://www.chums.com/category/paracord-keychains/product/eiger-paracord-keychain

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I lightly sanded and painted the keychain last night and let it dry for 8 hours. I have confirmed three things:

(1) The black spray paint wears off.
    (2) I now have black paint on a pair of my khakis.
    (3) I will not be following future recommendations from Charlie (sorry bud).

Back to square one!

No worries! Just remember, free advice is worth what it costs. Still beats $70 +/- for a simple keychain! :green:

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Willy, you are a genius. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I will see if I can find a nylon buckle system and I bet that will work. It still allows one handed disconnect, yet won't snag on things and doesn't make noise.

Will report once I find exactly what I want.

Top Bottom