Join TexasGunTalk

Quick question about long guns in vehicles

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by MTA89, Jan 10, 2019.

1. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce Well-Known

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I should have been more clear originally.

My comment was specifically around a long gun with a round in the chamber.

My experience with M4s leaves me less than confident in the AR’s safety function when jarred.

YMMV and all that.

2. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The question was not if it was safe but legal.
    There are those that have fired their loaded long gun while trying to get them into or out of a vehicle. It happens at hunt camp and at home as well. Some can't safely handle one anywhere. Some people should not have a loaded gun anywhere.
    Some states have laws against transporting loaded firearms. Texas is not one of them.
    If you have a firearm that the safety is of questionable functionality, it probably needs repair.

from an idjit coffeeholic

Hoji, ZX9RCAM, Charlie and 2 others like this.
  3. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    But a single answering post of "Yes" and then close the thread just wouldn't be us.

ekim, ZX9RCAM, Renegade and 1 other person like this.
  4. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Well-Known

Jan 13, 2017
    Fort Worth
    Yeah, but I do need to know the legal answer I keep an unloaded (no mag in the well either) AR15 in my trunk with 2 magazines right next to it topped off... If it's technically a club without a round in the chamber i definitely want to know.

5. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce Well-Known

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’m aware. My original post indicated that. The M4 safety works perfectly well doing what it was designed to do. Until it doesn’t. Here’s one example that affected close to 10% of the M4 PIP inventory.

https://taskandpurpose.com/army-fix-glitch-m4-carbines

Renegade likes this.
  6. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce Well-Known

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    TPC 46.01

(3) "Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include a firearm that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that is:
    (A) an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899; or
    (B) a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899, but only if the replica does not use rim fire or center fire ammunition.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm

I’m curious about the text regarding the integral folding knife blade as the rest of TPC 46 appears to be silent on what that would be called.

Darkpriest667 likes this.
  7. Charlie

Charlie "I can't think of one thing that I don't know." TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Why would one not keep a loaded mag inserted, leaving the chamber empty (if it made them feel better)? A round cannot accidentally go off in the mag. especially if it's locked in a trunk. Just curious as to the reason.

8. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Apparently because they are unsure if it is legal, even after 6 pages of explaining it is.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  9. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Well-Known

Jan 13, 2017
    Fort Worth
    Just personal preference really. I have the bolt open so that when I slam the mag in I just hit the bolt release button and off to the races.

ekim, toddnjoyce and Charlie like this.
  10. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce Well-Known

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    When transporting a long gun, that’s how I typically do it. Nothing particularly wrong with that method.

Nothing particularly wrong with a round in the chamber, either.

As you know, our law doesn’t care one way or another if the firearm is loaded in any configuration or not.

Darkpriest667 and Charlie like this.