Quick question

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by kimberten2, Jun 7, 2009.

1. kimberten2

kimberten2 New Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Hey guys, i'm new here, living in San Angelo, Tx (a village), bought a new kimber bp. Anyways, I was reading the requirements for a chl license, and was reading over the part where it said no class A or class B misdemeanors. I have a class B i believe, for driving while license is suspended, it got dismissed but it says that doesn't matter. Anyways the question is after reading further down, it looks to me as if they mean only alcohol or drug related misdemeanors

( If you have been convicted of two or more alcohol or drug-related

misdemeanor offenses within the last 10 years, you may not be

eligible.)

Or is it ALL class A or B's?

Thanks guys:headscratch:

2. CALI

CALI Active Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Round Rock
    I didn't want to dig in the Texas laws and requirements for CHL. But your best bet is calling a local Instructor that teaches/offers class for CHL. Normally they can tell you right away or even give you suggestions.

Good luck.

3. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
  4. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The CHL laws only make you ineligible if you are CONVICTED. Deferred adjudication is a conviction for CHL purposes.

A person is ineligible for a CHL for 5 years after conviction for Class A and B misdemeanors.

If you were convicted of two or more drug or alcohol related offenses in the last ten years, the CHL laws consider you chemically dependant, which makes you ineligible.

5. kimberten2

kimberten2 New Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Thanks for the replies guys, i'm just going to call an instructor for a clear answer, I really hope it's not ALL class b misdemeanors, because not getting approved for a chl because I was driving to work while my license was suspended, is just ridiculous.

6. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I AM an instructor, did you read what I posted? If your class B was dismissed, then you were not convicted. Therefore you are eligible. If you WERE convicted, then you have to wait five years from date of conviction. :banghead:

(it is ALL class B misdemeanors)

Can you tell me exactly how the charge was dismissed?

7. kimberten2

kimberten2 New Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Yeah, I went to the county court, it was an old 2006 case, walked into the county prosecutors office, and he looked at my file, and said wow almost a 4 yr old case, stated he would be right back, then about 5 mins later came back and said he spoke to the judge and it's dismissed.

8. Starker

Starker Active Member

I would just listen to txinvestigator. He knows all of this stuff backwards and forwards! :happy0001:

9. southtexaspilot

southtexaspilot TGT Addict

Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    The rules are the rules.

Don't want to preach here, but no it's not ridiculous. You did something to get your license suspended. You then drove a vehicle after the fact anyway and managed to do something again to get pulled over and ticketed for a class B. Then you admit to failing to take care of the new offense until just recently. I am to assume then that you have been operating a motor vehicle still without a license until the charges were dropped (DPS FTA program). You seem to have either extreme ignorance or blatant disregard for the laws we all abide by. I'm not quite sure I feel comfortable with the idea of guys with your judgment packing in the streets of Texas. By the way, first time poster on here. Nice to meet all of you.

W

10. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Welcome aboard