• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chasinspecks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2016
    Hey all! I'm brand new here but was curios if anyone could tell me how far away you need to be from a road or house to discharge a shotgun. I've got a river nearby my house with ducks everywhere. I want to hunt it soon but don't want to get in trouble for shooting. It's in Harris County, I would be in my boat of course. Any info you guys can give me would be great. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Venture Surplus ad

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I don't remember anything specific, and I could be totally wrong, but IIRC it depends on the county.
    County clerks office or TPW office should be of help.

from an idgit coffeeholic

Chasinspecks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2016
    Thanks. I've searched TPWD and can't seem to locate anything specific either. I appreciate the response.

Chasinspecks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2016
    I wouldn't be shooting across any roads...just have houses behind us. The houses are a good ways away but I'm sure they could hear us shooting. Just wanted to see if anyone had any more insight

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    LOCAL GOVERNMENT CODE

TITLE 7. REGULATION OF LAND USE, STRUCTURES, BUSINESSES, AND RELATED ACTIVITIES

SUBTITLE A. MUNICIPAL REGULATORY AUTHORITY

CHAPTER 229. MISCELLANEOUS REGULATORY AUTHORITY OF MUNICIPALITIES

SUBCHAPTER A. REGULATION OF FIREARMS, KNIVES, AND EXPLOSIVES

Sec. 229.002. REGULATION OF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON. A municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:

(1) a shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or

(2) a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.

Added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 18 (S.B. 734), Sec. 4, eff. May 3, 2005.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/LG/htm/LG.229.htm

4x4kayak2112

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Houston Area
    I wouldn't be shooting across any roads...just have houses behind us. The houses are a good ways away but I'm sure they could hear us shooting. Just wanted to see if anyone had any more insight

Make sure your not in the city limits, dont allow your airborne pellets/bullets cross a property line, make sure if your hunting your have your hunting permit, and make sure you have permission from the land owner your hunting/shooting on. Also if any game gets lost across property lines, make sure you have permission from the land owner to retrieve the game.

Im not a lawyer, so YMMV

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Make sure your not in the city limits, dont allow your airborne pellets/bullets cross a property line, make sure if your hunting your have your hunting permit, and make sure you have permission from the land owner your hunting/shooting on. Also if any game gets lost across property lines, make sure you have permission from the land owner to retrieve the game.

Im not a lawyer, so YMMV

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

If the city limits has an ordinance against it. Not all do.

Chasinspecks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2016
    Thanks for the info. I really really appreciate it. Sounds like after reading over everything that we are going to be okay to hunt. Again I thank everyone

Top Bottom