• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Today is officially day 10 without a cigarette...and it still sucks. I am surrounded by smokers and it is taking every ounce of willpower not to break down and hit 'em up for one. Everyone says that after day three it goes away, but it so doesn't. And now all I can think about is that when I get home I'm going to want to drink...and that'll mean I'm gonna want to smoke... I hope this starts to get easier soon... Any ex-smokers out there have any advice?
    Gun Zone Deals

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Today is officially day 10 without a cigarette...and it still sucks. I am surrounded by smokers and it is taking every ounce of willpower not to break down and hit 'em up for one. Everyone says that after day three it goes away, but it so doesn't. And now all I can think about is that when I get home I'm going to want to drink...and that'll mean I'm gonna want to smoke... I hope this starts to get easier soon... Any ex-smokers out there have any advice?

Hang in there Chief, it will get better. It took me awhile, but now the thought of a cigarette revolts me. It WILL get easier! Don't give up. Go visit some cancer patients in oxygen tents....I did and it motivated me not to pick up another one.

boycan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    I know what you mean, it has been two months for me. Get some of the generic nicotine gum or lozenges from Wally world they help me tremendously. It still feels like I am cheating but I haven't had a cig in two months. Also think about what you have always wanted to spend that money on and DO IT for me it was guns and ammo ;-)

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    If you're like me, you are a smoke-a-alcoholic, and although the urge diminishes as time goes by, it will always be there waiting to jump out. I smoked at least a pack a day, sometimes two when I was in the Navy and worked nights (coffee and cigs to keep you up). And that went from 17 to about 35 years old.

I quite completely for a year, then decided to it would be okay to have a fine cigar after Sunday dinner with a nice cup of coffee or other soothing beverage. That cigar became twice a week, then every day, then small cigars several times a day, then finally packs of cigarettes and I was back to were I started. I quite again after about 3 years when I had to go in for surgery on my knee, and haven't smoked since.

But I know in the back of my mind, that if there was some immanent disaster about to happen like a meteor heading for earth that couldn't be stopped, and all life was expected to end in X amount of days or years, one of the first things I'd do is buy a carton of cigarettes. (on my way to church of course)

So hang in there, and keep fighting. One of the things that helped me was to reward myself. Like after a few months of not buying cigs, I buy something for my self with the money saved by not smoking. Bought a camera, and a 9422 Winchester. That really helped me.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Right now I'm definitely trying to take it one day at a time. I tell myself "Today I am not going to smoke...but TOMORROW I'm buying a pack"...LOL...so luckily tomorrow never comes...it's always today...

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Day 10 down...When I'm completely done smoking, I can afford more guns and ammo...I'll just have to find it...LOL...Just about time to whip the crap out of day 11 too

Thanks for the encouragement!!!

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    Dec 10th, 1998.....It's like a second birrthday for me. Thats when I kicked a 2 pac-a-day habbit cold turkey.....For those that say 3 day's, my a$$. It's more like 2 to 3 weeks but then again I was a heavy smoker. I think the only reason I've been successful for all this time is because I never caved into the "just one won't hurt" thought be it cigarettes or cigars. Now that it's been over 10 years for me you couldn't get me to smoke one even if you put a gun to my head.

If your gone 10 days then the hard part is over. Just wait till you hit the 6 month mark and start dreaming you started back up...that one was kind of weird.

boycan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    Dec 10th, 1998.....It's like a second birrthday for me. Thats when I kicked a 2 pac-a-day habbit cold turkey.....For those that say 3 day's, my a$$. It's more like 2 to 3 weeks but then again I was a heavy smoker. I think the only reason I've been successful for all this time is because I never caved into the "just one won't hurt" thought be it cigarettes or cigars. Now that it's been over 10 years for me you couldn't get me to smoke one even if you put a gun to my head.

If your gone 10 days then the hard part is over. Just wait till you hit the 6 month mark and start dreaming you started back up...that one was kind of weird.

It has only been 8 weeks for me and I already have dreams that I started smoking again LOL I have such a dissapointed feeling when I wake up then I realize SHHEWWW it was only a dream! LOL

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Hang in their GM I quit UH kind of I still smoke every now and then when I run out of snuff. but anyway keep on going, it will get easier when you start breathing better at about 3 weeks (that 3 day thing is BS) and when I'm welding or working on something at some ones house I still reach in my shirt pocket for a pack that hasn't been their in a year. My grandpa quit before I was born and we'll be talking in his yard and he'll still reach into his shirt pocket one so you'll be all right just keep going and don't give up.

PS; keep up the good work boycan

Top Bottom