• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeff B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    What is a wetback?

Someone who's back is wet from swimming the Rio Grande, and thus entering the United States as an illegal alien.

I don't see anything wrong with the description.

Jeff B.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Hell, wetback is what West Texas ranchers called illegal Rio Grande crossers, the terminology was also used by the "chotas" (Border Patrol) Since when did the damned illegal invaders skin get so thin ? Is this hurt feelings over the proper term hurting the feelings of the damned liberals? My Hispanic neighbors always called them that and most still do. They don't even call chotas by that name anymore, now they are La Migra. West Texas Ranches and ranching has always been a combination of Hispanics and Anglos, who live and work together and in the old days we got a lot of help from the wets because grown Texans, both anglo and hispanic weren't interested in real manual labor on a ranch, young Texans just wanted to ride horses and "cowboy" but there was hard work, fencing, windmill work, digging and ditching and cattle guard building and the so called wets did a damn good job. Ike set up a Bracero program so that good men from the other side of the river could work here without harassment from the chotas if they got a number.

Wheres the beef ?

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    How is that a racial slur?

We used wetbacks, wets, wet, mohows (dunno how to spell it), and mojados, and of course, Mom, to describe status.

So now we can't say country bumpkin either?

BTW Cuate (twin), I haven't heard the word chotas in a long time, reminds me of the good ole days (when I was a kid).

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    How pathetic. They also reach out to a councilman named Martinez why? Because a US Citizen who is and elected politician has a Hispanic last name so he must be an advocate for illegal immigrants? WTH?

Frankly, he should have known it would cause a stir and thought about how people would react, but how they're handling it is nuts.

Also, I recall reading that the term wetback was originally coined to describe Anglo's that crossed the rive going the other way. Border people were just people that loved near a river and live "on the river" which meant both sides. And for the most part lived peacefully. Obviously that was a long time ago before it was forgotten who worked together to fight for what is now Texas.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have worked with both legal and illegal immigrants, and the folks who come over the river to work and gain a better life threw the proper legal channels. Welcome to America, land of the free and home of the brave. (and the cry baby Dem's) If you didn't come here legally, turn your ass around and go back to where you came from. I don't care were it is, whether it is Mexico, Canada, or England.
    I worked with a legal immigrant that I liked to work with, and I still talk to him when he answers his phone. When people were marching in the streets for illegals rights. He was pissed and said "How come I have to go do all the paper work and get tested and all they have to do is hop the river?" And he is right, to this day he calls me "weto" (I Doubt that is how it is spelled) when I call him I don't get offended.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I think they need to get off the "we love illegals kick", maybe thats how this councilman's family came over, and I don't care honestly. They are illegal and I don't care if their feelings get hurt by someone using any term about them. If you are illegal, you are a criminal and thats it (in my opinion).

If you are an immigrant who comes here legally and becomes a productive member of society then I would have an issue as I think racism is rediculous. By all means I welcome legal immigrants who become productive members of society.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    BTW Cuate (twin), I haven't heard the word chotas in a long time, reminds me of the good ole days (when I was a kid).

+1...I haven't heard the term "chotas" in a long, long, time.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I think it's spelled guero, but I dunno.

Anyway ... a little story and perspective ... maybe.

When I was a kid, me and the other Mexican-American kids did not like being called Mexican, wetbacks, or whatever. Not because we saw it as bad, but because we saw it as a social and economic statement. "Wets", were new, had little money, had the worst clothes, had to stretch the crap out of their resources (packed cars with people, mismatched or hand me down clothes, etc.) may not have family here, couldn't speak English, were a grade or two behind in school, and so on and so forth.

The bottomline was, it meant you were new, unsettled, and probably poor ... every kid's social nightmare, lol. It didn't, and still doesn't, mean much more than that to me.

Now when someone says "lets go pick up some wetbacks and get that fence done". It tells me they are cheapskates, looking to take advantage, or are plain morons. Either way, it's a negative on them, not the illegal.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Ahhh, wetback. I really couldn't figure out what they were talking about.

I guess I never thought of it as a racial slur, at least not any more than gringo.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    You can leave a message for the station manager at this address; [URL="http://www.590klbj.com/ToddAndDon/Blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10042430"][url]http://www.590klbj.com/ToddAndDon/Blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10042430[/URL][/URL]

I, for one will not listen to the Emmis stations in Austin anymore. This pandering to the whining left has to stop.
    Thanks for the link! I was listening to the fm part of that station at lunch and they had one protester outside the studio. That must be a lonely protest.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    +1...I haven't heard the term "chotas" in a long, long, time.

The nickname "cuate" meaning twin in my case also is slang for "shotgun", like an old double barrel one. A friend named me that because out this side of Van Horn years ago I thinned the jackrabbit population for pastime as there were millions, a drouth, and they were in competition with livestock for what little grass was growing. Liked the name and kept it. Better handle than "hey you" or "lad"....Semper Fi

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    LOL, gotta love the politically correct atmosphere.

Who ever thought their might be a 1st Amendment? You know the same one that allows brown man to talk bad about whitey, and whitey to talk about brown man?

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    LOL, gotta love the politically correct atmosphere.

Who ever thought their might be a 1st Amendment? You know the same one that allows brown man to talk bad about whitey, and whitey to talk about brown man?

The PCP (Political Correctness Police) have since modified it (although not in writing) so that the Non-White man can talk all of the shit about the White man they want but it isn't allowed in reverse. :banghead:

Top Bottom