• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I ended up in the hospital on February 25th of this year. I thought I was having a heart attack. They did the heart catheter thing and found that, plumbing wise, my heart is in good shape - no major blockage. It ended up being atrial flutter. In that sense, I'm blessed.

The atrial flutter, however, has lasted 2 1/2 months now. There have been very few instances where my heart beats "correctly". It has caused me to feel dizziness and fatigue. I'm tired of feeling tired. On the days my heart beats correctly, I feel wonderful and have plenty of energy.

I have visited two highly respected electrophysiologists and will be undergoing a radiofrequency cardiac ablation next week. I'm told it has a very high success rate and is relatively safe.

For those of you so inclined, I would appreciate your prayers.
    Target Sports

pbratton

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I had one done over a year ago now and it has corrected my issues.

It'll be great, you'll get shaved neck down and have more pads and stickers on you that you ever thought existed.

Good luck, don't fret.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    You will be asleep and not know a thing. Took about a week to get hb stable first time, second I got it fixed. Hopefully all will go well for you.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    It is very safe. They'll wheel you into a cold room and slap a bunch of cold stickers on you then you'll wake up in recovery. The tech for mapping the heart and it's electrical pathways is pretty cool. It's not something you learn one night at a holiday inn express. The people in the room with you do it all day, everyday. I don't know where you're having it done but you will be in good hands.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Only thing that will hurt is the bill!
    The first trip to the hospital in February maxxed my out of pocket expenses for the year. The bill for the emergency room, catheter angiogram, and overnight stay was about $45k. I was billed about $7,500. This procedure, hopefully, will be pretty much covered by insurance.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Prayers offered.

My sis had atrial and ventricular fibrillation off and on for years. Eventually it was non-stop and they had to stop her heart in the emergency room and re-start it. (Pro-tip: If you ever need that done, don't let your family be in the room. I still have nightmares watching my sister die and then being brought back after 10 or 15 seconds.)

Immediately after that, she had the ablation by one of the best in the world. She hasn't had a single bout of atrial or ventricular fibrillation since, not a single flutter of the heart. That was over a decade ago, iirc.

When it's done right (and her doctor did warn her that he might have to take two tries to get it done right though he only needed one), this procedure is a massive blessing.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    The first trip to the hospital in February maxxed my out of pocket expenses for the year. The bill for the emergency room, catheter angiogram, and overnight stay was about $45k. I was billed about $7,500. This procedure, hopefully, will be pretty much covered by insurance.

Not bad. I had a scheduled angio where they found a blockage and placed a stent around 9 years ago without an overnight stay - $50k. 2 months later I still had some pain so they just did a scheduled angio for around $40k.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My buddy had this done, and he is better than before. You got this.

Prayers up.

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    I had mine done...hmmm, can't remember. Not a single instance of atrial fib since.

I was very freaked before hand, the whole "we just need to punch a small hole to get from one side to the other" seemed to concern me greatly. But it was really a non event.

Prayers your way, but relax and let the professionals work. You will be amazed at the results.

Top Bottom