• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/eve...bout-raising-baby-chicks-on-a-budget-04252016

Baby chicks…they’re adorable, fluffy, and incredibly delicate! Despite their fragility, they’re actually pretty simple to raise. If you have some outdoor space and live in an area where it’s allowed, fresh eggs and meat (if you’re interested in that) can easily be yours!
    This week’s self-reliance strategies are all about getting started with baby chicks.
    I don’t have 20 years of experience with baby chickens, but I’m now on my 4th batch of them. Each new batch has been more successful than the one before. Just like any other new skill, it works best if you simply find a reliable guide, plunge in, and learn “on the job.” Below, we’ll talk about how to get started on the most adorable hobby around. Trust me – anyone can do this! This article is long, but it contains basically everything you need to know to get started raising baby chicks.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    We raised one bunch of 4, bought 2 days old at the feed store. Another 4 were mama-hatched here at the house. Store-bought chicks (no mama) are more fun. Don't name 'em or you can't eat 'em.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    You need a goal and then research the breed you want to keep.

Meat, eggs, pets?

Cooped up all the time or free range or something inbetween?

How much meat and how many eggs do you want what color do you want your eggs?

There are breeds that will make you more successful in almost all situations if you get the right ones for your needs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Information taken from the book,

Readers Digest, Back to the Basics: How to Learn and Enjoy Traditional American Skills.

Chickens: Best bets for the small farmer.

Rhode Island Reds. Good all purpose, tolerant to cold.

Plymouth Rocks. Dual purpose birds, lays brown eggs.

White Cornishes. Often crossed with Plymouth Rocks to produce fast weight gain.

White Leghorns. Prolific layers but never become plump. Tolerates heat but not cold.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010

Readers Digest, Back to the Basics: How to Learn and Enjoy Traditional American Skills.

White Leghorns. Prolific layers but never become plump. Tolerates heat but not cold.

Very general and will get you started if you have a very general idea of what you want to do.

I'd get very specific on the level of work effort and the desired results while choosing a breed.

Doing my research and I've decided that khaki campbell ducks better suited my situation. Very easy to raise, weather hardy, minimal shelter needed and outproduce chickens for eggs.

Not saying that's the best advice for everyone. Just that with a specific goal in mind the breed and even type of animal can be fine tuned.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Doing my research and I've decided that khaki campbell ducks better suited my situation. Very easy to raise, weather hardy, minimal shelter needed and outproduce chickens for eggs.
    Yep, ducks are great. Khaki campbells can be a little too hyper, tho. I had one, but she was kind of an asshole to the other ducks and was very skittish around me. She was delicious.

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    I have laying hens. How do the ducks compare. You said more eggs Probably larger also on average.Do they lay daily in a nest box through the year and go through the moult like chickens I presume.

mardad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2013
    Nacogdoches
    One of my "chicken coops"

That's 18,500 babies.......... go ahead and count 'em if ya don't believe me. IMG_1099 (1).jpg 2 days old

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Yep larger eggs and higher in protein. How regular they are depends on the duck. I have some that lay every day, others that lay every other day. They usually use their nest box but sometimes they just drop it wherever they are at the moment :laughing:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I have laying hens. How do the ducks compare. You said more eggs Probably larger also on average.Do they lay daily in a nest box through the year and go through the moult like chickens I presume.

"During their first year of laying, our seven Khaki Campbells laid 332 eggs each. That is 47 pounds (21 kilograms) of eggs per duck, in a single year." from Internet.

From what I understand they are less concerned where they lay their eggs but generally find a spot and lay there.

Housing is simpler as well. Most folks use small doghouse like structures. Ducks like outside even in the rain and snow better than inside. They also don't need roosting bars or nesting boxes.

92f32599fad6ffd593c38113682d34dd.jpg

Last edited:

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Housing is simpler as well. Most folks use small doghouse like structures. Ducks like outside even in the rain and snow better than inside. They also don't need roosting bars or nesting boxes.
    Yep, here's my "duck house." It's basically just a big nesting box. They will sometimes take naps in there like in the picture, but if it's storming you can guarantee they will be outside. The more it blows and pours the more they enjoy it. The saying about weather fit for a duck is true :laughing:

26662553215_d3447626b5_b.jpg

Ya'll let me know if you want babies. I should have some hatching this week ;)
    26059520886_5f3ce2456b_z.jpg

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    Yep, here's my "duck house." It's basically just a big nesting box. They will sometimes take naps in there like in the picture, but if it's storming you can guarantee they will be outside. The more it blows and pours the more they enjoy it. The saying about weather fit for a duck is true :laughing:

Very interesting worth trying the eggs when I run across some

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Yes. Duck eggs are much milder tasting and the yolk is creamier. Less whithe and it is thicker. Firmer when cooked. I get them from TheDan. They don't give me indigestion like store bought chicken eggs. Absolutely love the yolks.

I try to get three to five dozen at a time. Partly because I drive 60 miles to get them. Then go to Tandy leather. But worth the drive anyway.
    sent from an idgit coffeeholic

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

My dad bought 50 chicks every year. Usually leghorns. We raised up for a while, then kept the hens, and slaughtered the others. We had gobs of eggs. The slaughter was an assembly line affair.

Dad chopped off the heads.

I retrieved them, dunked them in hot water and pulled the feathers.

Mom did a quick field dressing, then later cleaned them a little bit more for the freezer.

I was then in charge of burning the feathers and cleaning up. Had to bury all the guts, etc. We would have a wash tub of that stuff.

I always dreaded it, but loved eating the fresh meat. We seemed to freeze about 30-40 birds a year. Not a one left when the next bunch was ready to put up.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom