• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    My dad bought 50 chicks every year. Usually leghorns. We raised up for a while, then kept the hens, and slaughtered the others. We had gobs of eggs. The slaughter was an assembly line affair.

Dad chopped off the heads.

I retrieved them, dunked them in hot water and pulled the feathers.

Mom did a quick field dressing, then later cleaned them a little bit more for the freezer.

I was then in charge of burning the feathers and cleaning up. Had to bury all the guts, etc. We would have a wash tube of that stuff.

I always dreaded it, but loved eating the fresh meat. We seemed to freeze about 30-40 birds a year. Not a one left when the next bunch was ready to put up.

Damn, Brother. Same here. Dad would grab a chicken by the head. Twirl it like a towel. 'Ringed it's neck'

Mom had the pot of hot water ready.

Me, I was the feather puller. Guts went to the dog or thrown out way yonder. Where it didn't stink before the foxes got it.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Dan, do you use a kiddie pool or something else?
    They don't have to have water to swim in. They only need water deep enough to dunk their whole head in as that is how they clean their nostrils and eyes. A bucket from Dollar Tree works fine. Sometimes I setup a big water trough for them to play in for a treat, but it gets pretty nasty in a couple of days. I have some ideas on making it permanent with a little aquaponics garden to clean the water, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I keep a small trough in their pen and have a few little tubs of water scattered around the yard for them when they are free ranging. Sometimes they still decide to play in it even though it's small :laughing:

I was then in charge of burning the feathers...
    Bleh! Must have smelled terrible. Why not just bury them with the guts?

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    They don't have to have water to swim in. They only need water deep enough to dunk their whole head in as that is how they clean their nostrils and eyes. A bucket from Dollar Tree works fine. Sometimes I setup a big water trough for them to play in for a treat, but it gets pretty nasty in a couple of days. I have some ideas on making it permanent with a little aquaponics garden to clean the water, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I keep a small trough in their pen and have a few little tubs of water scattered around the yard for them when they are free ranging. Sometimes they still decide to play in it even though it's small :laughing:

Bleh! Must have smelled terrible. Why not just bury them with the guts?

Because l liked to burn stuff.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    I like the duck idea, do they go back to coop at night like chickens? Do they free range like chickens? I let my chickens out in the morning and they just go back in at night, ducks do the same?

Favorite chicken breeds are Buff Orpingtons and Laced Wyandots, blue laced are my next ones. I like RI reds, was our first, but the roosters seamed aggressive.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I like the duck idea, do they go back to coop at night like chickens? Do they free range like chickens? I let my chickens out in the morning and they just go back in at night, ducks do the same?
    Yep they will usually put themselves back in their pen at night. If they are staying out too late all I have to do is bring them some treats and they come running.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    e68e99ee6479f9f14fc9f706abeca61c.jpg

Got her hanging out too, wonder what a turkey egg would taste like?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom