Join TexasGunTalk

Raising goats

Discussion in 'Food, Water Storage and other Prepper Gear' started by skfullen, Feb 25, 2020.

1. candcallen

candcallen Well-Known

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Trying so very hard to not make baaad goat jokes.

Damnit sorry.

Not gonna do it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    jordanmills and Hoji like this.
  2. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    deemus and Texasgordo like this.
  3. Oldbluered

Oldbluered New Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Bastrop area
    Nubian or Alpine's are good full size goats for milk. Spanish are less overall maintenance, in my opinion. The miniatures can be hard on your back to milk and their kids are more likely to walk through a fence. Goats can get stuck in fences, even without horns. I keep a Great Pyrenees with mine and lock them in a pen at night. Donkeys work well but can kill pet dogs, if they get in the area. They live by the phrase, "the grass is always greener". It'll take many goats to clear up a dozen acres and rotational grazing keeps parasites down.
    https://tennesseemeatgoats.com/ has a lot of good info

4. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Welcome to the Forum!

TxStetson likes this.
  5. skfullen

skfullen In the woods... TGT Supporter

Yes! And thanks for your input.

BRD@66 likes this.
  6. Oldbluered

Oldbluered New Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Bastrop area
    Haha thank yall. I've been reading and lurking, happy to have found TGT in October.

7. GoPappy

GoPappy Active Member Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2015
    I once read how to determine if your fence will keep goats in. First, you build the absolute best fence you can possibly afford. Then take a bucket of water and throw it against the fence. If the water goes through it, so will the goats.

8. GoPappy

Dec 18, 2015
    Also, goats are not lawnmowers. Their preferred diet is not grass. They eat woody plants, brush and weeds. That includes trees. They will strip the bark off of trees and kill them. If you have trees you want to protect, you’ll need to fence around them or wrap them with chicken wire or rabbit wire up to a height the goats can’t reach.

jordanmills likes this.
  9. GoPappy

Dec 18, 2015
    Finally, goats are herd animals, not solitary creatures. They HATE being alone. If you have one goat, it will be a very unhappy goat.

And you can’t buy goats, turn them out on the pasture and then never pay attention to them. You have to check them for parasites and general health, trim their hooves, make sure they are getting the minerals they need, etc.

They must have FRESH water and supplemental feed when the grazing is sparse.

skfullen and Oldbluered like this.
  10. motorcarman

motorcarman Compulsive Collector

Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    For the last 25 years I keep 15 to 30 Pygmy Goats on 8 acres. I also keep 2 Jennies with them but they have separate barns. The goats HATE RAIN! They will come SCREAMING in from the pasture when the drizzle starts.

I chose Pygmys because my fences will last a little longer with the small stature.
    I need a certain number of livestock for the AG Exemption. My Granny used to raise Spanish goats but I wanted smaller ones.

I don't use the milk but I sell them as meat goats.

Plenty of locals want cabrito.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    deemus likes this.