• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I once read how to determine if your fence will keep goats in. First, you build the absolute best fence you can possibly afford. Then take a bucket of water and throw it against the fence. If the water goes through it, so will the goats.

How long have you raised gots?

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    My goats LOVE rose bushes!!! (that's the problem)
    They only eat the branches that stick through the fence so the wife plants them on 'her-side'.
    They also like to play 'king of the hill' (on cars).

We used to have dozens of Mexican Plum trees on the pasture side of the fence, the goats ate them.

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    I've got several dozen acres in East Texas and I'm thinking about getting a couple of goats to help clean up the place and provide milk.
    I have a fenced area about one acre in size. It is a four foot wire mesh fence. There is a shelter already inside.
    What breed of goats do you suggest? I'm thinking I want two females and will "borrow" a male as needed for breeding and keeping them lactating.
    I do have several small pastures on the property but they are not fenced. Can you tether a goat for grazing and then return it to the enclosure?
    Any resources or suggestions are appreciated. The property is SE of Lufkin.

Been raising goats for 20 years; they all have their advantages and drawbacks. As mentioned Spanish are generally more timid but they can be tamed down(helps to run with a Pyrenees guard dog). Boer goats are more susceptible to plant based and viral diseases; their meat is best imho. Nubian would be best for milk production and milk consumption by humans.

The only tethering I have done is while lease training show goats...

Now for fencing: field fence like you have will result in heads getting hung and goats/dogs jumping out. Best option is 1x4 ridged horse fencing, properly attached to wooden/ t-posts 6’ tall.

Goats are not garbage disposals; in fact they are picky eaters. They tend to choose one type of vine/tree over others.

Overall you are going to lose money! Goats are very expensive!

That being said I have switched to Spanish and they require less upkeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I’ve been raising them for 10 years.
    started with a mix of everything and have settled on Kiki/Boer cross.
    I run a Kiko billy with Boer dams. Easy easy breeding and kidding, some genetic parasite resistance.

Top Bottom