• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Was watching this video on fast shooting a single-action revolver (in this case a Heritage Rough Rider) faster than a semi-automatic pistol, and was taken back by the use of ".22 caliber Ramset loads" as blanks!

To be honest I have never heard of these things. Anyone ever try them in a .22 revolver? Apparently they are cheap and plentiful at Lowe's and Home Depot!
    Venture Surplus ad

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    They are basically blanks. Until you put something in front of them. Like a nail or a pellet.
    Was some videos of a guy using them and a .22 pellet in a .22 bolt action rifle. Pretty impressive.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Yeah, pretty impressive that some of them can sink nails in solid steel.

Been many years, red loads?
    I mainly used them to attach 2x sill plates to concrete... yellow #4 was most common.

I was using green loads and shorter nails to attach 1x furring strips to a 12" thick concrete wall in order to insulate and put up siding on my house in Colorado. There was a severe drought that summer, and a neighbor came over in a huff to tear me a new one because he thought I was setting off fireworks.

People get real serious about fire prevention in Colorado.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have been familiar with them for many years but all my powder actuated tools use .27 caliber loads in strips.

Never thought to try the .22 caliber singles in a firearm. Make sense though.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    They come in different load levels, too

Yep...

graph.png

Might have to give them a try in my Heritage Rough Rider. I really don't see much need for a .22 blank, but I'll still give them a try purely out of curiosity's sake...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Found this while doing a little research on the topic...

I am working on an independent film set, and the firearms guy uses them for blanks instead of normal .22LR blanks. .22LR blanks made for guns are made with normal gunpowder, so they make a "pop" sound and produce no smoke or fire out the front of the barrel. Useless for video work. The .22LR nail gun blanks use black powder, so they produce a louder, more impressive noise and also shoot debris and a flash/smoke out the front, which is much more useful for film/video. He loaded a Heritage Rough Rider pistol with a mix of .22LR blanks made for firearms and the yellow .22LR nail gun blanks. You could see and hear the difference. "pop, pop, BANG, pop, BANG, BANG," and each "BANG" had a nice, big flash of fire and smoke. Mind you, they also produce more projectile, so we still didn't put the camera, or any person, in FRONT of the barrel.

For killing zombies, however, they'd be pretty useless, because there's no INTENDED projectile, just a little bit of powder grain and debris. (Source)

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Seem to recall using the green or yellow to mount 2x4's to concrete slabs.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    There is another channel on YouTube called Rye on ham and he does some chronograph and accuracy testing using the ramsets to propel pellets out of a single shot .22. Some approach 3,000 fps! Accuracy is not great at all though.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...using the ramsets to propel pellets out of a single shot .22. Some approach 3,000 fps! Accuracy is not great at all though.
    I don't imagine firing pure lead pellets at 3000 fps is a recipe for accuracy. Or were they using those newer, no-lead pellets?

Funny, though, I can't help but remember some of the equipment used in the early days of benchrest shooting. Many of the first breechloading benchrest rifles had the powder and bullet separate. The bullet was carefully seated into the rifling, a paper container of powder placed behind it, and the breech closed. I wonder if it would be possible to build a rifle today that worked the same way - put a quality benchrest bullet into the rifling from the breech and then propel it with a blank/ramshot/whatever contained in the breechblock.

There's no reason to do such a thing but I wouldn't be surprised if someone had tried.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I don't imagine firing pure lead pellets at 3000 fps is a recipe for accuracy. Or were they using those newer, no-lead pellets?

Funny, though, I can't help but remember some of the equipment used in the early days of benchrest shooting. Many of the first breechloading benchrest rifles had the powder and bullet separate. The bullet was carefully seated into the rifling, a paper container of powder placed behind it, and the breech closed. I wonder if it would be possible to build a rifle today that worked the same way - put a quality benchrest bullet into the rifling from the breech and then propel it with a blank/ramshot/whatever contained in the breechblock.

There's no reason to do such a thing but I wouldn't be surprised if someone had tried.
    They were solid lead pellets. The skirts were being blown right off using the more powerful ramsets. Those special alloy pellets may fair better. He had to check the bore to make sure nothing was stuck between each shot.

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    The dart gun our animal control officer uses is powered with the powershots. I think I remember seeing a chart in the case that listed which power load to use for different weight darts.

Joat

Top Bottom