Range Bag - local sources?

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by TexasRedneck, Jul 7, 2009.

1. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    This looked like the most likely spot ta ask this, so....

I'm tryin' to find a range bag that'll fit MY range trips. What I've seen so far has been okay for 1-3 guns, but I generally take 4-6 to the range (myself & wife go). On occassion I'll take more, but I've got a hard case for that. That's usually when I've got someone's wife that isn't sure just what they're gonna like, and most within my circle know that I've got a pretty decent assortment of handguns...:devil:

Anyway - that's what I'd like to find - a GOOD range bag that I can (preferably) pick up locally. I really prefer to be able to check it out in person before making a decision. Oh - and I'll generally take 3-500 rounds of ammo, small cleaning kit/repair kit, oil, etc.

Oh, yeah - local is San Antonio area....<G>

2. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I use a Plumbers bag.
    Check places like Harbor Freight, Home Dept, Lowes.
    These bags are full of pockets, hard bottoms, heavy duty canvas and come in all sizes. Also they are cheap when compared to a actual range bag.

3. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Thought about 'em - but what I want will have compartments to securely hold the guns and protect 'em from damage in transit.

4. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    This is the one I have. I like it pretty well, although you've got to use gun rugs to keep the pistols secured. I can carry 5 pistols plus ear protection, shooting glasses and other paraphernalia. When I bring that many guns, I have another small case for ammo, otherwise with one or two guns, all the ammo will fit in the case. Price was right too. Got it free when I bought Paula's 637.

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum968.php

Here are some other ones I've seen people have. The Sig bag is really nice.
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/51165-1.html
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BAG141-1.html

As far as picking any of these up local, I donno, except CTD if that's close to you. Most gun shops and even Cabela's and Bass Pro have a limited selection of range bags.

5. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    It's difficult to find a bag with padded compartments for more than 2 handguns. If you do, you'll damn near need a dolly to tote it. I have this bag (which can be found for about half the MSRP) http://tac-force.com/largerangebag.aspx and put the padded center compartment dividers in the end pockets for protection when carrying four handguns in it. The center compartment is then plenty big enough for eyes, ears, ammo, toolkit, targets, and a couple more handguns in rugs. Fully loaded like that, and it's guaranteed to crook your back. LOL

Not sure how to help you on finding one local to you, but I did get mine at a shop in Houston.

6. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Sure wish I shot well enough to walk around with one of those.....:p

7. hk boy

hk boy Active Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
  8. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
  9. jsbcats

jsbcats Member

May 4, 2009
    Kingwood
    +1 on the Midway bag.

10. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I use this one from Cabela's:

Cabela's -- Shooters Ridge Shotgunner Bag

For $39 it works pretty well, plus it has an expandable pocket that will allow you to pretty much carry a TON of ammo or even an entire case practically.