• ...and so much more!
  • subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    So my range bag is frustrating me. I've had it for several years, and although the design is good, the quality just is not there.

This was ok a few years ago, but I've got some spare change for a new bag, and I'm out of patience with this one.

What does everyone else use for carrying ammo, eyes and ears, CLP, etc to the range?

TIA!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Military Camp

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You've seen me drag all my crap to the range so you know what I use but I'll go over it, just for the record.

Normally I only carry handguns. I hate carrying a single, huge, heavy bag so I go for a selection of several smaller bags.

These are the three I use the most:
    All three of these bags are of the highest quality. The two smaller ones don't have much "design" to them; they're bog standard. The big one is a bit different; it's not much in the design department. That doesn't bother me. My camera bag is an old Domke that's essentially just a strong canvas sack. Complex compartmentalization is something I don't value; I took all the dividers out of the big bag. Oddly, my old Domke is something I occasionally use for shooting because it's strong, light and slightly larger than the largest one I listed. It's fine for throwing in all my bulky stuff.

My point is that if you like compartments for everything, my bags would not work for you.

The only thing that doesn't fit into my smaller bags are my ears. I loop them through the handle and let them hang on the outside or I use my belt clip designed for ear muffs to hang from.

Finally, there are special cases.
    • If I intend to haul any long guns or a very large number of handguns to the range, I have two Kalispel Case Line hard rifle cases and a very sturdy plastic rifle case that I got through the NRA Instructors portal. I'll put the guns in the hard case(s) and load everything else in the small, soft cases.
    • I have a small, soft rifle case just large enough for my bullpup that has compartments for several mags and room for some ammo boxes. When I want to shoot that rifle, it's usually the only thing I take to the range so it's perfect for that.
    • When appropriate, I use a standard, traditional bullseye pistol box into which everything fits for that sport.
    • I have one particular .45 that lives in a cheap nylon case with a bunch of mag compartments. It just seems to work for that specific pistol. In my world of guns, this is a definite anomaly.
    • If I need more space, I move the ammo to a steel ammo can.
    Someday I'll need something with wheels. I might get by with one of those oversize roll-aboard-like range bags. Most likely, I'll opt for a large Creedmoor roller that makes traversing uneven ground easy. Until then, though, what I've outlined pretty much covers everything I need.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have individual "gun rugs" for every one of my pistols. Mags stay in their respective case, never need to worry about swapping them out, or leaving them behind. Yes, that is quite a few, and I have a large box that I store them all in.
    I just grab a gun, stick it in its case, then throw them in my range bag.
    I realize this has nothing to do with your question, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    German Soldiers Pose with Horse Mounted with a Captured Machine Gun during WWI.jpg

Here's me and my range nag.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Though its not all that sexy, I use this Craftsman Professional tool bag...
    https://www.searsoutlet.com/5-Pocke...g/d/product_details.jsp?pid=19303&mode=seeAll

it had held up quite well. I use it for guns, ammo, mags and sometimes AR pistols broke down. it is generally quite heavy as I tend to bring too much with me and shows no signs of failure over the 8 years I have been using it. Though this model is no longer made, I'm sure any quality tool bag would work just the same.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I have an old eagle industries range bag that is an honest 20 years old. It’s stood up to mule pack trips, catching hot rifle brass. Had countless bottles of solvent dumped in it. Held far too many pounds of ammo too many times and It’s still going strong. Stitching is almost like new, Velcro is solid and the zippers work easily. The thing is a beast.

Yea, I know they are expensive and you can get a cheap piece that will let you down for 1/10th the price but should you tear your cheap bag and drop a pistol in the dirt at the range or on a hunt you won’t mind the cost to keep it all together.

10b56789e5d889a51b306784603298fd.jpg

66bb1e5775810cf8400fd94b5e243158.jpg

Last edited:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    When I want to carry a bunch of stuff and the handguns to go with it, I use a
    MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag System

If I just want to carry a few mags., ammo. and the basics, I started using a

SOG Responder Bag I got off Amazon for about $20

Very shortly, I will be trying out a Bulldog Cases BDT Dual Rifle Case and seeing if that can't "limit" some of the stuff I take with me. I know that limitation thing is only a dream, but...

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    I have an old eagle industries range bag that is an honest 20 years old. It’s stood up to mule pack trips, catching hot rifle brass. Had countless bottles of solvent dumped in it. Held far too many pounds of ammo too many times and It’s still going strong. Stitching is almost like new, Velcro is solid and the zippers work easily. The thing is a beast.

Yea, I know they are expensive and you can get a cheap piece that will let you down for 1/10th the price but should you tear your cheap bag and drop a pistol in the dirt at the range or on a hunt you won’t mind the cost to keep it all together.

10b56789e5d889a51b306784603298fd.jpg

66bb1e5775810cf8400fd94b5e243158.jpg
    Gonna have to look into this, very similar to what I use now, but it sounds like higher quality.

The d-rings that hold the shoulder strap on mine are separating - I'm sure it's totally coincidence that the bag is usually loaded plumb down.

Last edited:

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    You've seen me drag all my crap to the range so you know what I use but I'll go over it, just for the record.

Normally I only carry handguns. I hate carrying a single, huge, heavy bag so I go for a selection of several smaller bags.

These are the three I use the most:
    All three of these bags are of the highest quality. The two smaller ones don't have much "design" to them; they're bog standard. The big one is a bit different; it's not much in the design department. That doesn't bother me. My camera bag is an old Domke that's essentially just a strong canvas sack. Complex compartmentalization is something I don't value; I took all the dividers out of the big bag. Oddly, my old Domke is something I occasionally use for shooting because it's strong, light and slightly larger than the largest one I listed. It's fine for throwing in all my bulky stuff.

My point is that if you like compartments for everything, my bags would not work for you.

The only thing that doesn't fit into my smaller bags are my ears. I loop them through the handle and let them hang on the outside or I use my belt clip designed for ear muffs to hang from.

Finally, there are special cases.
    • If I intend to haul any long guns or a very large number of handguns to the range, I have two Kalispel Case Line hard rifle cases and a very sturdy plastic rifle case that I got through the NRA Instructors portal. I'll put the guns in the hard case(s) and load everything else in the small, soft cases.
    • I have a small, soft rifle case just large enough for my bullpup that has compartments for several mags and room for some ammo boxes. When I want to shoot that rifle, it's usually the only thing I take to the range so it's perfect for that.
    • When appropriate, I use a standard, traditional bullseye pistol box into which everything fits for that sport.
    • I have one particular .45 that lives in a cheap nylon case with a bunch of mag compartments. It just seems to work for that specific pistol. In my world of guns, this is a definite anomaly.
    • If I need more space, I move the ammo to a steel ammo can.
    Someday I'll need something with wheels. I might get by with one of those oversize roll-aboard-like range bags. Most likely, I'll opt for a large Creedmoor roller that makes traversing uneven ground easy. Until then, though, what I've outlined pretty much covers everything I need.
    Ben, thank you!! I was in the mindset that I needed to be completely "put together" and everything has to line up just right....sometimes I put the cart before the horse....

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Bulldog deluxe range bag. Inexpensive and has two outer pistol pockets plus I can carry 3 smaller pistols in the center with ear protection, uplula, etc. I've carried ammo too but that typically goes in a can. It's 2 years old and not showing any wear but I'd like something bigger with logical magazine storage so you don't have to sort magazines to guns at the range.

I may have to buy better rugs that hold multiple magazines and move over to using a backpack.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Although I have a range bag I rarely use it anymore.
    Mostly I use a RIGID wheeled tool box.
    It has the retractable handle and allows other box sections to snap onto the top of it.
    Not exactly stylish but it rolls so I don't have to carry a heavy bag loaded with multiple guns and ammo.
    On the occassion I only take one or two I use a small backpack.

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Top Bottom