• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I had a hell of a day at the range today. First up is my Sig 716 Patrol Gen 1 that I traded into a few weeks back. This gun has made it on to the forever roster. I cooked up handloads of 41 - 41.5 - 42 - 42.5 - 43 grains of H4895 for Hornady A-Max and Hornady BTHP Match. The upgrades I added are a Larue 1 Stage flat bow trigger, magpul furniture and a Burris RT-6 (came with the carbon Lancer foreend). Discounting a known flyer, 0.70" with BTHP at 42gr and 1.03" with Amax at 41.5gr.

IMG_8035.jpg
    IMG_8020.jpg
    IMG_8013.jpg

Next up I wanted to test out all of the different factory loads with my 45-70 to get it sighted in with the most accurate for deer season. I tried out four loads, Hornady 325gr FTX (default zero ammo), Hornady 250gr Monoflex, Federal Premium Hammer Down and Barnes Vortx 300gr FN. I recently added a straight barrel Marlin hammer spring to this rifle and it lightened up the trigger pull by atleast half. The results were all over the place.
    • 325 FTX = 1.1"
    • 250 Mono = 2.1"
    • Federal = Over 6" Micrometer was maxed out
    • Barnes = .91"
    Really disappointed with the Federal. That is expensive ammo and it grouped like I was shooting birdshot. Alot of people online get good performance out of that ammo but I am not one of them. Pictured is the Barnes group. They are pleasant to shoot. Tee 325gr FTX factory loads are stout in comparison

IMG_8037.jpg
    IMG_8026.jpg

I finally broke out my new to me M77 Hawkeye that I got from @Bully . As you all know by now, I am a .308 common sewer so I have a crap ton of different factory loads at my disposal. Well going through the testing to see what the Hawkeye likes and its apparent it really doesn't like 180gr bullets. I haven't shot a group under 2" with 180gr yet which leads me to think that this is a 1 - 11 twist barrel. It is a varmint model and thatd make sense. I did strike 308 gold though when I shot a .37" group with Federal Powershoks in 150gr. I can't wait to start working on handloads for this rifle. Very excited about its potential and it is NOT FOR SALE.:beat:

IMG_8034.jpg
    IMG_8028.jpg

Last but not least is old faithful, my Ruger Am aka the Deer Slayer. I just re-sighted this in as I transferred my Viper to the Hawkeye and mounted a Nikon Prostaff P5 on it instead. Usually can get .75" out of this load of 37.5 gr of H4895 under a 180 gr Hornady BTSP. I recently did some experimentation and 40.5 gr (**** hair under max) gives me about .6-.7" so I am switching over to that once I shoot up all of the 37.5 loaded stuff I have. Ole ugly is wearing that nasty thread protector until Uncle Shitbird approves my tax stamp.
    IMG_8036.jpg
    IMG_8018.jpg
    Military Camp

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I like accurate rifles.
    A lot.
    My demand for accurate rifles started with this Ruger American. It shot every factory load atleast 2-3”. Hand loading made me love the rifle again and also made me never want to own or hunt with a gun that isnt atleast 1 moa

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    When I had my Ruger MKII 308 it preferred the 165gr pill over 180's. Mine also really liked 150gr Core-Lokts for whatever reason. This weekend I'm going to stretch the legs on a couple of my 308s. I got an M1A recently that is begging for some trigger time.

Reactions: MTA

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    When I had my Ruger MKII 308 it preferred the 165gr pill over 180's. Mine also really liked 150gr Core-Lokts for whatever reason. This weekend I'm going to stretch the legs on a couple of my 308s. I got an M1A recently that is begging for some trigger time.
    Im hoping this one likes the 165-168gr bullets. My sauer is a 150gr only gun and the American is 180+

Top Bottom