• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Psychomedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Rosenberg
    Ok gents...ladies. let's talk some about range finders. I would like a decent one but not break the bank. Let's say I want to keep.it between 200-400 bucks. What do I need to look for before I pull the trigger and buy one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    I have had a Bushnell and a Cabelas Bushnell, both worked well for archery and rifle hunts, Nikon had one in that price range at one time

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have a Leupold one. It's supposed to range out to 600yds, but I've found it tends to crap out a little beyond 400yds. On darkly colored objects it has trouble reading the range past 250yds or so. It is accurate, tho. It cost about $180 if I remember correctly. I have no urge to upgrade.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    0 to 1000yrs, was accurate enough for what I was doing with it

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Psychomedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Rosenberg
    Just starting into long range shooting. Would like to get one that can do 1000 yds. Looked at the Vortex Ranger or the Leopold 1000 (forget actual model)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have had good luck with my 5 year old Bushnell Elite. I can't remember the model number/ distance (they are the same) though. It reads over 1000 yards, maybe 1200 or 1400.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    I have a Bushnell ARC 1600. Works well on all targets to around a thousand yards. I have used it on reflective targets (12"x24") at a KD true one mile range, and on rather large reflective targets much further (the water tower visible from my shop is 2,300 yards, BTW).

That said, the new one is supposed to be better. Looks like it is in the high end of your budget, if you ignore MSRP and believe AmazonPricing(tm):

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Tact...gefinder/dp/B00IID3PC6/ref=dp_ob_title_sports

Bushnell 7x26 Elite 1 Mile ARC Rangefinder FREE S&H 202421. Bushnell Range Finders.

Yes, the Leica 1600 is a better, smaller, more accurate unit. It is also far more expensive ;)

Alex

TheTexasTom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Yea, I know, a little late to the game.

I have had good success with the Redfield Ranger. It's pretty accurate up to about 550 yards.

knc1105

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    I have tried most off them, The Bushnell 1600 mentioned worked real good, I have a Bushnell Fusion which is their 1600 rangefinder and ballistic program made into a high end 10x binoculars, a retired Navy Seal told me about them and they are-- incredibly accurate-- and will range just about everything but they are pricey. I had the new Leupold with the tru-ballistic range and they were junk, I gave them away. Would not range trees or grass past 300 when you need a rangefinder, I have nothing good to say about them. Had several Nikon sets and they were ok. The Leica were ok but I liked the Bushnell 1600 better and they were less than half the price. My absolute favorite basic rangefinder and I have one in every hunting rifle case is a Bresser 800-4 power. You can find them from $89-109 and all of mine have been flawless, batteries last forever, 800 yards or meters, no frills and they will range anything to 750-800 yards. It does not have to be reflective, you can range trees, grass, rocks or the side of a hill. There is a stop sign looking target that you use and it ranges what is in that target. If you are ranging down a sendero or a brushy area, intermediate stuff around the target will not affect it. The Bresser if you can see your target on a moonlit night works well but the readout is not illuminated so when you target something, quickly point it above the treeline, if you get it to the skyline before the reading goes off you can see the readout.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    If you are in the Buda area, keep an eye out at Cabelas. They have sales
    on range finders bout every couple of months. I bought my Bushnell there
    and it seems to be accurate out to 1000 yards. I paid 199.00 for it about
    3 years ago.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have a bresser as well as a cheapo from academy. The bresser is worlds better than the 200yd academy special I bought a few years ago. However, neither are as accurate as my buddys leupold. The "get what you pay for" rule definitely applies here, but the Bresser is a damn good value.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Anyone got a rifle that can do 6,000 yards?

29m3lfs.jpg

knc1105

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    You need to do a video of that. I doubt anybody else could afford it but it sure looks cool.

Top Bottom