• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Range Report: CMMG AR-15 Carbine.

I took the AR for its first range trip today. I went to the local indoor range with my father and only put 100 rounds through it. The rifle side of the range is only 20yds but it gave me a good feel of how everything works. I also got a chance to roughly adjust the new Primary arms M3 red dot sight. I say roughly because the benches there do not lend them selves well to steady rifle shooting. I ended up using the magazine as a monopod…eventually I’ll take it to an outdoor range to finalize the adjustments.

Once I got the sights aligned, I could reliably shoot a 1” grouping at 20 yards…. this took considerable control and patience to balance everything since I had to bend forward to use the bench.

Initial thoughts:
    The rifle performed well with no major performance issues. There are a couple things I’d like to change. I will most likely invest in the following:

- Replacement MBUS rear sights that are lower profile to fit the 3X flip magnifier
    - A new flip-to-side magnifier mount. The existing one from primary arms is a pain in the ass to move.
    - Trigger job (probably just refining the single-stage trigger)
    - A Magpul CTS stock or similar. The existing stock feels very cheap and does not seem to be stable
    Lynx Defense

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    20 yards is actually too close to properly zero an AR.

A 25 yard zero will usually put you on target out at 300 because of how high the sights on the rifle sit. You're actually aiming the sights down to meet the path of the bullet that close.

balloo93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    I zero my ARs at 50yrds to have it damn near dead on at 200yrds.

For the trigger job, remove the fire control group and polish the contact surfaces and apply a little grease there. JPinterprises also makes several rate springs, but I would stay away from the yellow hammer spring. Get the read one. I would recommend just polishing the hammer and trigger over replacing the springs. You want a solid reliable trigger.

I assume you mean CTR with the friction lock. It's a good stock for a carbine. The ACS is also good.

I'd recommend a good sling as well.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    20 yards is actually too close to properly zero an AR.

A 25 yard zero will usually put you on target out at 300 because of how high the sights on the rifle sit. You're actually aiming the sights down to meet the path of the bullet that close.

On my carbine, I adjusted to 1" low at 25 yards which put me about 1 1/2 - 2" high at 100. I haven't shot it at longer ranges but guessing that would come back down to zero at around 250 yards. Maybe a little less.

As for the trigger, I sent my trigger, hammer and springs to Bill Springfield for his trigger job and have been very pleased with the results. very inexpensive.

30+GSXR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    nice report Radio Flyer - good luck on the finishing touches on your AR.

mine: SOG AR-15
    Trigger Job = Timney Trigger
    Stock = VLTOR Enhanced E-MOD
    Vertical Grip = Grip POD w/ Stainless Steel inserts
    Sling = Magpul MS2 w/ Magpul ASAP sling adaptor
    Sights = Aimpoint PRO Red DOT & Troy flip up battle sight for rear w/ A2 front.
    Laser - Krytonite Green K-15
    SBR = engraved w/ TRUST & registered w/ ATF
    Silencer = Gemtech G5 :)

the list just goes on and on ..... you will find that out soon enough.

Top Bottom