• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    I've been once and liked it. The range officers were nice and chatted me up a bit, talked guns and military branches we were in. Here's the pros I found so far.
    -overall nice facility
    -well lit and ventilated (very very clean air)
    -nice trolley system
    -can shoot any paper you want (zombie Obama, etc)
    -low light shooting capability

Cons
    -it's pricier than other ranges at $15/45min
    -doesn't go out to 100yds for rifle zero
    -ammo was slightly overpriced (box of win 333 was $35)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Frequent Shooter card get you down to less than $13 per visit!

Most ammunition has been repriced by General Manager.

Unsolicited customer response here...I will buy my second frequent shooter card this week. Once you get used to the 45 minute block of time, the cost is very close to 'another' indoor range. IF I am going to stay over the 45 minutes, I'll just go for the 90 minute mark. I don't recall ever REALLY wanting to stay on an indoor range longer than that. I'd have to be outdoors and moving to want more time for my personal use.

The ammo I have purchased was reasonable in price, especially since they actually HAVE it. The CCI 22lr was as cheap as I've seen IN STOCK at retail this year...not a big internet score, but that's not their business model. There's something to be said for being able to buy what you need at a fair price and not having to stockpile ammo for a range visit...or feel you are going to get hosed if you decide to fire off another hundred rounds.

Headed there in a bit, actually, if I can get the pup visits taken care of ;)

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    Most ammunition has been repriced by General Manager.

This is true and the shelves are stocked more than any other LGS or range i've seen lately, .22LR included.
    The price is higher than other ranges but IMO its well worth it as you get VERY good customer service and the range itself is worth it along with RO's that are there for safety, not to nit pick your every move or offer unsolicited advice/criticism. Shady Oaks is my new place. Just need a girl and I can have a date night!

Couyon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NW of Austin
    I believe we've found our new range home. Shady Oaks is a very nice facility as noted by previous posters. The winning point for me was how they helped my wife get back to shooting after a 20 year break. The range officers are very helpful and patient with new shooters. My wife even signed up and completed a beginner's course after meeting the folks there. The ammo prices have dropped to the point that they contend with online prices (with shipping). Overall, we give Shady Oaks high marks!

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    1st trip today. Met one of the owners and the staff. Very friendly people, clean, well ventilated and well lit facility with excellent equipment (motorized target carriers). I didn't buy any ammo, but the cost was similar to the competitor's indoor range yet is nicer and 15 minutes from my home. This is my new favorite pistol range for punching paper.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Might head up there this afternoon. Hope they were able to find and repair the source of rainwater infiltration...has to be frustrating in a new building! This weekend's rain should have been a stern test!

On the ammo price subject, I will say some of the centerfire ammo was a bit spendy but not out of line for range prices. My problem was getting a new .380 pistol...not many deals on .380 ammo anywhere!!!

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I've been once and liked it. The range officers were nice and chatted me up a bit, talked guns and military branches we were in. Here's the pros I found so far.
    -overall nice facility
    -well lit and ventilated (very very clean air)
    -nice trolley system
    -can shoot any paper you want (zombie Obama, etc)
    -low light shooting capability

Cons
    -it's pricier than other ranges at $15/45min
    -doesn't go out to 100yds for rifle zero
    -ammo was slightly overpriced (box of win 333 was $35)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

was going to go a couple weeks ago, but 'it's pricier than other ranges at $15/45min". With that being said, it's great to have other choices in the far north austin area. for me, i'd exercise my other options.

Last edited:

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    was going to go a couple weeks ago, but 'it's pricier than other ranges at $15/45min". With that being said, it's great to have other choices in the far north austin area. for me, i'd exercise my other options.
    Yep,, options are good. With this weather of the last few days, an indoor option is especially good! As I've mentioned before, the round trip for me is a full gallon of petrol less than going to Pf-ville. That's $3.50 worth considering when figuring the real cost of a range visit. ;) I could put that toward dessert for our Friday lunches!!!

Top Bottom