• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SA Justin

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    I know there's plenty of threads on the subject, but I'm looking for a recommendation for a local range. Normally we get a private bay at the Bullet Hole and have tons of fun, but I want to bring my new shotgun next time. Unfortunately, they won't let you shoot anything but slugs at the Bullet Hole and I'm more interested in seeing how the new gun patterns with buck shot and bird shot.

Any recommendations on a place that's similar to a private bay at bullet hole (where you can shoot pistol, carbine, etc from 5 yard to 25 yard) but that allows buck shot and birdshot?

Thanks!
    Military Camp

txreloader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Bandera Country
    You can shoot buck shot and birdshot in bay 7, unless something changed in the last couple weeks. That is the only bay though. And bring your own targets for shotgun they don't usually give you one to destroy. I just use cardboard about 24" x 36" long.

SA Justin

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    You can shoot buck shot and birdshot in bay 7, unless something changed in the last couple weeks. That is the only bay though. And bring your own targets for shotgun they don't usually give you one to destroy. I just use cardboard about 24" x 36" long.

Really? One of the young guys (range officer?) who walks around the bays in the back told me no shotguns at all except for bay 7 and only slugs on bay 7. Can you shoot carbine and pistol in bay 7 too?

txreloader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Bandera Country
    Really? One of the young guys (range officer?) who walks around the bays in the back told me no shotguns at all except for bay 7 and only slugs on bay 7. Can you shoot carbine and pistol in bay 7 too?

I've been shooting shot in that bay twice a week along with my AR and handguns for the past year or two. Check with one of the guys in the office next time. Now I haven't shot there in a few weeks due to work issues but unless they changed their policy, shot has been allowed in bay for as long as I've been shooting their. Its where I go to check loads and patterns when working up new loads. I hope that hasn't changed. I did have to bring my own target backing because they wouldn't get me blast one of theirs to pieces.

erik087

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2013
    Blackhawk will let you shoot slugs/bird/buck shot on their range, but you don't have private bays.

The main range in front of the office is for pistols, shotguns, and .22 cal rifles. They also have the 100 yd range for any rifle caliber.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Have you tried Bracken Range? I don't think they allow slugs, but will / used to allow patterning of shotguns. Their shotgun range is off to the left of the main range. Check with the range office.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    IIRC, I've only seen people shooting clays at Bracken. Is there a place a set up a target?

Yes, it's right off the parking lot as I recall. Across from the office. It isn't much but there is a holder there and a small cut into a high berm. If you didn't know it was there, you would think it was part of the parking lot. ;)

Top Bottom