• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasHK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    I was asked earlier to post this, and am finally getting the time to do so.
    I recently purchased my first HK piston in the form of the .45 Expert, but it took my a little while before I had time enough to go out and put lead down range.
    I went out and through a course of about 250 rounds, all I can say is that I was very impressed. I ran my rounds through 2 - 12 round mags and 2 - 10 round mags and did not have any feed issues or jams.

The first session was 100% with dependability.
    The only complaint was that it took me one magazine to get a feel for it, but that is due to the fact that I had not been able to get much 'trigger time' in the last few months.:banghead: But after that, things worked great.

I shot about half of my rounds at the 15 yard line with the rest spread between the 20 yard line and the 10 yard line (for fun). I used primarily PMC 230gr FMJ and some remaining Wold 230 gr FMJ that I had left (primarily to get rid of them). At the end of the session, The Expert and I cut a hole in the target you could put your fist through without touching paper.

I fired primarily with a Single Action trigger pull and was very impressed. It is the closest trigger pull to a 1911 that I have felt in a SA/DA pistol. The DA trigger pull was long, but not bad...it would be accurate enough to stop someone - but I wouldn't want to rely on it for hitting the 'X' when I can back the hammer and have a trigger almost like my Kimber 1911 TLE.

HK reports that their recoil system reduces felt recoil, and although the weapon is very managabe, even in the off had, I could not tell much difference between it and my Kimber. The only major difference is that the HK tended to push back a bit more rather than climb, allowing for a slightly faster follow up, but any difference is negligable over the 1911.

At the end of the day, I was indeed impressed with the accuracy and dependability that HK is known for. I did not expect the accuracy that I get out of my 1911, but I did. Without actually sitting down and giving you all a measurement between the two, I'd say that it was close enough for government work. Between the two, it is hard to say which is more accurate, but both my Expert and my 1911 are vary similar in accuracy.

The only trade between the two for me is that my Kimber has night sights while my HK has target sights with an M-2 Light for the rail. But I don't think one could go wrong with eather. If you are looking for an HK, I would recommend the Expert.

For those of you who wanted a very detailed range report, then I appologize for not giving a more professionally detailed account of the days fun.
    Hurley's Gold

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Nice. I am going to copy and paste this to a friend of mine that has your Kimber. He claims it's the best pistol in the world and that nothing is better than the 1911. While I think the 1911 has it's merits, I prefer my HK Elite.

He lives in Houston and I am in the Dallas area. He brags so much about what an expert marksman he is with the Kimber that I have invited him to join me at the range of his choice on my last 2 trips to Houston. Each time, he had an excuse or reason to not meet me. Hopefully when I am down there for Christmas we'll be able to get some range time.

I am happy to hear that the pistols are similar in accuracy, so it will only be the shooter that will determine the final result.

*I'm not claiming to be a sharpshooter. I've just heard so much about how awesome he is with the Kimber that I'd like to see who leaves a smaller hole in their target after a hundred or two rounds.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The higher end HKs with the o-ring full length barrels are tack drivers. I'm by far not the best shot in the world, but I have placed 3 shots in a 1" group at 25 yards with the HK USP Elite in .45

I won't tell you where the other 9 - 10 shots went :(

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Great gun.I have the USP tactical that is very accurate and has been 100% reliable.

TexasHK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    I'd agree with the fact that it is the shooter that makes the difference between the higher end HKs and the 1911.

I can relate to "a friend of mine that has your Kimber" and the belief in the 1911 being hands down the best...I used to be that way too. I shoot my Kimber very well, much better than I ever did a Glock or Beretta...even though I did quailify expert with a beretta in the Air Force, I just never shot them near as well as my 1911...but then again, that is my own personal flavor. I went for a while thinking that nothing could out shoot a 1911, but I spent some money with making it a bit more 'showy' with wood grips and the lot and actually started looking at the HK for throwing in the truck out on the ranch to keep my 1911 from getting banged up, but the accuracy of both, that I have found is to be very good...but that is a full size HK with the O-Ring barrel.

I have been surprised by several weapons purchased in the last couple of years for accuracy like this: first was a 16" barreled bushmaster that shot MOA at 100 yards with less than great ammo as wells as my toy - the MK VII Desert Eagle in .44 Mag that drives similar tacks to the 1911 and HK.

However, the HK and 1911 have the nicer triggers of the three hand-guns - and the 1911 still has a crisper single action pull, although there is not a great deal of difference...but that is just my worth.

Happy shooting.

Top Bottom